Chapter 33

Thank fuck it's Friday.

This week has been exhausting, but somehow, I managed to make a lot of progress on the scholarship project. It helped that Axel had to work out of his office for several days, leaving me without distractions.

Well, during business hours, anyway.

He stayed over every night, basically living at my place, taking full advantage of his new dresser drawer. Not that I'm complaining—I could get used to daily home-cooked meals.

And daily dick.

Turning off my computer, I shut my laptop screen and grab my things, ready to put an end to this lengthy week. As if right on cue, there's a knock on my door.

It's unlike her to wait for permission.

Before I can speak, the door flies open, ricocheting off the stopper. The metal spring rebounding into shape rings through my ears.

That's more like her.

My crazy best friend struts into my office in five-inch heels and a beige bodycon that barely covers her thighs. Based on her outfit, you wouldn't know it's below freezing outside.

November in New York is no joke.

Her dress has a giant waist cutout with a small, front bow holding the minimal fabric together, exposing most of her skin. The gorgeous ruched detail in the skirt hugs her hourglass figure. Per usual, she looks flawless, and completely overdressed for our casual shopping trip.

Why'd I expect anything less?

"I was giving a warning knock." Liza cocks a brow, grinning mischievously. "I didn't want to interrupt something."

I laugh, throwing the handle of my purse over my shoulder. "I'd lock the door."

"Well, that's no fun."

"Gross! Your dad's in this building."

"That's never stopped me before."

I don't doubt that.

"So you ready to go?" she asks.

"Yeah." I grab my phone off the desk and head to the door. "Can we swing by Axel's office?"

"Sure thing! I was just there—dropping Mickey off."

Stopping in my tracks, I turn towards her, curiously. "So that's what you've been doing?"

She smiles sinfully. "More like who I've been doing."

My eyes widen, surprised she hasn't shared any details with me yet. She always does. "What?! Since when?"

Acting coy, she tilts her head to the side, shrugging her shoulders as she walks past me and down the hall.

She's not getting off that easy.

———

"Come in." Axel responds to my knock with a commanding tone.

I wish you were coming in—me.

"Livy!" Mickey walks over, greeting me with a hug, eagerly spinning me around. "What're you doing here, bestie?"

And the moment's gone.

"She came to say goodbye to me." Axel stands up, towering over his large desk, revealing his tight-fitted dress pants, outlining his package.

And the moment's back.

"Now both of you can go fuck off." He gestures to Mickey and his new security detail, pointing at the exit. "And give me a minute alone with my girl."