Chapter One Hundred Thirty-Six

A/N: helloo

it's been sort of a rough week with the stress of final exams coming up, but at least it's all almost over!

i honestly cannot wait to write the ending for this book (which is coming up really soon!) because it's just such a cliffhanger that you're gonna hate/love me and then the next book is gonna pick up from right there but i also made new covers for the books that i am dying for you all to see and i wanna make a trailer for the new book and there's just so much exciting stuff coming up!

for now, enjoy this calm and peaceful chapter :)

————————————————————
"Pete, you do realize that it's

three in the morning, right?"
————————————————————

Adelaide hadn't slept a wink since she had talked to Lukov.

Luxium was all she could think about. She had been worried that after learning of Graves' death, she would be consumed with regret, but, in fact, Luxium had kept her mind off of it. Luxium had kept her mind off of everything, actually.

If she could help Lukov, she could really help save lives. And after all the murder she had committed, Adelaide was tempted to call him. Besides, what were the chances? Luxium was highly reactive to light and she could control light. Lukov would never be able to do this without her help.

And if she refused to help him, indirectly, she was refusing to help save lives.

But how could she trust that it would work? She barely even knew Lukov. What if all of this eventually collapsed and led to nothing?

"Adelaide?" Vivian said, waving her hand in front of her friend's face. Adelaide blinked, turning her head to her left to look at her.

"Oh— um, sorry," she stuttered, "What were you saying?"

Ned frowned in worry from the across the cafeteria table.

"Is everything okay?" he asked, concerned. She glanced at Peter who was looking at her worriedly. This wasn't the first time she had been out of it and he was feeling worried that there was something bothering her that she wasn't telling him about. Adelaide shook her head.

"E-Everything's fine. I was just...thinking about some homework," she lied.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Vivian asked, obviously not believing her. Adelaide tried to ignore the look Peter was giving her.

"Yes, I'm fine," she said hurriedly, forcing a smile that fooled no one, "Everything's fine."

Before anyone could say anything else, the lunch bell rang, signaling that it was time to head back to class. Adelaide breathed a sigh of relief, quickly gathering her tray with its uneaten food and practically running away from the table. She could hear Peter saying something to Ned and Vivian, but she didn't stop to listen.

Instead, she quickly left cafeteria, heading straight for class.

"Ada, wait," Peter said, grabbing her elbow to stop her and force her to turn around. She sighed.

"Peter, I swear I'm fine," she said, not looking him in the eye, "I just need to get to class."

"Class can wait," he said and led her over to a secluded hallway where the students wouldn't crowd them as they all left the cafeteria. He studied her face for a moment, wondering what had happened. He should have said something when he noticed her behavior the first time around.