Chapter One Hundred Thirty-Eight

A/N: HELLO BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

man, it has been a stressfulll week with finals and like a million other things, but i am just relieved that summer is almost here which means so is my four months vacation 😅

i'm supposed to get my second dose of my vaccine this friday so then i will FINALLY be fully vaccinated and feel a little bit relaxed but not that much cause like all these variants are also stressing me out. but i have enough to worry about as it is so i'm not gonna try to worry about that until i have to

anyway, you probably aren't gonna like me for this chapter and please forgive the cliffhanger in advance :)

————————————————————

"I have the powers to control light."

————————————————————

Adelaide didn't call Peter the rest of that day and neither did he.

May texted her and told her that after he had come home, he fell asleep in his room right after but he had refused to eat anything all day.

Peter didn't come to school the next day and Adelaide figured it was for the better. After that weird moment that they had had back in the nurse's office yesterday, she wasn't quite sure what to say to him yet. He was clearly going through something. Why didn't he trust her to tell her? And then Adelaide had felt like a hypocrite because she was doing the same, which led her to feeling guilty for the way she had impulsively reacted yesterday.

Regardless of how she felt, he still hadn't called or even texted and Adelaide wasn't sure how to start a conversation with him either. May continued to update her on his condition, letting her know that he didn't have a fever and she was taking his temperature every other hour, but he still refused to eat anything. Adelaide was growing with worry about what had put him in that condition.

But here in Long Island, there was no room for worry.

If she wanted to get that sample of Luxium from SHIELD tonight, she would have to be completely focused.

Lukov was already waiting for her in the lab. She just had to get the Luxium unnoticed and leave before anyone realized it was missing.

The first hurdle was the security at the gate. They only allowed authorized personnel to drive through. On an inconspicuous Tuesday night, there were only a couple other people needing to get inside the facility.

Adelaide didn't have a car and if she borrowed one of Tony's, he would have noticed instantly. So she called in another favor from Bobby again (who was more than happy to lend a hand, or, in this case, a car) and she used her powers to make the body of the car completely black instead of its usual yellow taxi color.

The second hurdle was the ID she needed. So she borrowed Tony's. She doubted that he would notice that it was missing. When she drove up to the gate, the guard's face lit up.

"Good evening, sir," he greeted, thinking that he was speaking with Tony Stark. Adelaide nodded at him from behind her blind widow glasses she had from when she needed to fool her landlord into the thinking that she was a blind widow. She handed him Tony's ID and he scanned it into the system. Adelaide held her breath.

"You're all set, sir," he said, handing her back the ID. She smiled at him, and drove into the facility once the guard lifted the bar. She parked her car off to the side, behind a larger van as to obscure it from view because the illusion she had on it would fade away once she left.