Chapter Ninety-Nine

A/N: so i randomly got inspired and wrote a whole mf song in like an hour ahshsja it's called 'hey soulmate' and i just need to fix a few lyrics and chords here and there and somehow get my vocals to sound like billie eilish and BAM we have a song. but we all know im too lazy to do that and im too self conscious about my singing voice to ever let anyone hear it but it was fun writing it ig

anyway, this chapter might be the last one with a little bit of calm in it, the rest are just plain wild emotional rollercoasters so be prepared!! im currently working on a spin-off of this fic even though it's like over a year away from being published and my usually creative well is so dry. i have the vibe for the story, i just need a plot. but im super excited about where it's headed!!

alright ill stop talking lol. enjoy the chapter and start getting your tissues ready for next wednesday ;)

also that gif up there 🥺

————————————————————
"You think I don't feel guilty!

You think I don't wanna beat myself up

for letting this happen to her!"
————————————————————

1:08 AM

Tony landed loudly on the porch.

Pepper and Happy both immediately jumped up to see the condition Adelaide was in. Pepper touched her cheek, horrified with how cold her skin was. Even in the dark, she could see the blue veins surfacing and skin losing color. Pepper's mouth fell open and she stumbled back. Slowly, she lifted her gaze to Tony's.

"Is she...?" the woman whispered.

"No," Tony said. His face was grim. "But she doesn't have much time."

He marched past them into the house, shoving the door open with his shoulder. Pepper and Happy glanced at each other before immediately following after the billionaire as he maneuvered through the halls towards the bedroom. He gently laid the teenager down on the bed and pulled the covers over her body to keep her warm.

Pepper came to stand beside him, studying the girl as her heart beat in her throat. The tears began welling up in her eyes again at the sight of the condition she was in. A shaky hand raised up to cover her mouth to keep a sob from escaping.

"What...happened...to her?" she whispered. Tony swallowed hard. He stepped out of his suit and looked down at her. He closed his eyes, dropping his head shamefully.

"They tried to take her memories again," he whispered, "But her brain couldn't...couldn't take it. So..."

"So what?" Happy whispered, stepping forward when he didn't finish. Tony looked up at him through his teary, bloodshot eyes.

"It shut down. If she...If she doesn't wake up in the next twenty-one hours she'll..."

"No," Pepper breathed, shaking her head. Tony closed his eyes again. Pepper sat down on the sofa behind her, her hands covering her face as the tears cascaded down her cheeks. Happy couldn't look away from the kid even if he wanted to. His face was seemingly stuck in a twisted expression where he was on the border of crying.

"There's nothing we can do," the billionaire whispered. He looked down at the teenager again. "She has to wake up on her own."

The whole house was silent for a long time. They were all lost in their own heads, feeling similar emotions, but handling them very differently. Happy hadn't moved a muscle since Tony had told them everything. Pepper was still sitting on the sofa, silently sobbing into her hands. And Tony...Tony was staring down at the teenager, too ashamed of himself to even reach out and hold her hand.