Chapter One Hundred Forty-Nine

A/N: hola!

welcome to the second to last chapter of this book! you know i had to make it equally angsty and depressing so be ready to laugh and cry at the same time ;)

okay so last chapter, peter learned that his ada is in a coma and so this chapter is allll about padie!! but only one of them is awake version. suuuper depressing

enjoy!

————————————————————
"No matter how this...ends,

I'll always be the luckiest guy

in the world to have met you, Ada."
————————————————————

DECEMBER 14, 2016

It had been one day after the doctor had told them to say goodbye to Ada.

No one had done it. No one had the guts to.

Peter couldn't even think about it. He held onto the last bit of hope he had and began to believe it so strongly that he became sure he wouldn't have to say goodbye to her.

His ribs were healing, his gashes were too. He was still assigned to bedrest, but he spent his entire day and night with Ada. He sat in her room, listening to her heart beating for many hours. It was the only sound that reassured him. He ate lunch with her. The nurses fed her through a pipe in her arm. He hated to see that a once bright and cheerful Ada brought down to such a level that she had to be fed through a pipe, but he tried not to cry in front of her. It wasn't easy.

Mr. Stark wandered in and out of the room like a ghost. He had distracted himself in trying to help solve the Devil's Breath crisis across the city. SHIELD was still working to solve the Fury problem, although the FBI had released evidence that Ivan Lukov had been the one to commit the crime, not Fury and the news quickly fizzled out from there. Pepper came in every half hour to check on her. Happy brought her lots of chocolates to eat when she woke up. May brought her flowers. Ned and Vivian sat with him, trying to keep his spirits high.

But Peter never left. He stayed with her all day.

That night, he made himself a bed on the couch and stared at the dark ceiling until the sun came up and lit the whole room.

Then he walked back over to her bed and sat down beside her again, holding her hand in his and refusing to let go.

—————

DECEMBER 15, 2016

Peter realized that he had spent all of yesterday speaking only about a dozen or so words.

He glanced down at his had tangled in Ada's and then up at her sleeping face. He swallowed.

"I don't um...I don't know if you can hear me, but...I'm here, Ada. We all are," he said quietly, "I know you're fighting hard. You've always been the strongest person I know. Just wake up, okay? And when you do...I still be here, I promise."

He studied her face as if he expected her to open her eyes and tell him she would never leave him.

But she stayed sleeping.