Chapter Thirty-One

A/N: Look at me, I'm uploading and it's not 1 in the morning! Progress, I'd say. Anyway, GUESS WHO'S SEMESTER IS OVER! It's me :) My semester FINALLY ended and oh my god it's SUCH a relief. I literally did not realize how stressed I had been until I wasn't. It's such a good feeling :)))

ANyway, so quick recap on the previous chapter since it's been a while. When was the last time I had uploaded? Gosh, I don't even remember. So last chapter, Peter and Adie were acting SUPER weird after the Thing and then there was a few Pepperony+Adie (what are we calling it lol) moments and then our favorite heroine FINALLY figured out what Project 1978 was and then you guys will found out what it is in this chapter in case you haven't already figured it out yet lol.

After this chapter, things start to get VERY interesting...mhmm interesting indeed.

————————————————————

"He had seen enough."

————————————————————

Adelaide hadn't been able to get Ned alone all day until lunch time when Peter went to use the bathroom and Michelle was conveniently not present.

Ned had been trying to get Adelaide alone too — to ask her what exactly had happened between her and Peter and why they weren't talking to each other still. But Adelaide was onto him faster than you could say Usain Bolt.

"Can you come to Tower after school?" she whispered, leaning across the table. Ned was taken aback for a moment and he stumbled to piece together what exactly was happening.

"Um, what?" was all that he managed to get out.

"The Tower. After school. Pay attention, will you?"

"But why?" he asked. He didn't like the serious tone in her voice. It meant that something was wrong and he didn't like it when something was wrong.

"I've got something to show you on the files. It's important," she answered. Ned shook his head.

"I can't — I've got a decathlon meeting," he said. Adelaide cursed under her breath in Russian. When Ned had hoped to learn Russian, he definitely didn't expect to start with words like that.

"What time is it at?" she asked.

"Um, 3:30," he answered and he watched as Adelaide did the calculations in her head.

"School ends at 3 so we can meet in the library after. You've got your laptop, right?"

"Erm, no, actually. My mom...took it away," he said sheepishly. Adelaide raised an eyebrow.

"What did you do?"

"I was...playing video games after curfew," he mumbled. Adelaide sighed.

"We'll have to meet in the computer lab, then."

"But the files are on my laptop and it's locked in my mom's closet at home," Ned said, looking up. Suddenly, he gasped. "You're not going to break into my mom's closet, are you?!"

"What? No, Ned," she said, giving him an incredulous look. "I am not going to break into your mom's closet."

"Then how are you going to show me the files?" he asked, confused.

Adelaide dug into her pocket, closing her hand around the familiar flash drive.

"Don't worry about it," she told him. Ned studied her face for a moment and then his eyes went wide in realization.