Chapter Sixty-Three

A/N: AHHH THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER OF CIVIL WAR :'((

Also, I dropped all of my homework to make an edit today because this chapter marks the end of something important and I wanted to be dramatic about it (which is why it's 12 am and I'm still working).

Anyway, IT WOULD BE AWESOME if you could watch it. It'll be in the next chapter named 'Tony' which I'm uploading right now!

————————————————————
An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again,

but one which crumbles from within?

That's dead...forever."
————————————————————

"I got heat signatures," Tony said as they made a turn around a corner. Adelaide was right behind him and Steve was behind her.

"How many?" Steve asked. Tony paused.

"Uh, one..." he said.

Adelaide frowned. There had to be more than one.

They entered a vast chamber. Suddenly, the lights came on. There were six capsules filled with a yellow haze. Adelaide narrowed her eyes, waiting for the haze to disappear

"If it's any comfort," a voice suddenly said and they all froze, "they died in their sleep."

To her horror, the soldiers inside had been killed. Each with a bullet in their head.

"Did you really think I wanted more of you?"

"What the hell?" Barnes whispered to himself, keeping his rifle up.

"I'm grateful to them, though. They brought you here."

Suddenly, a light appeared behind them, just enough to make out the face of a man. Steve hurled his shield at him immediately, but it hit a door and boomeranged back.

"Please, Captain," the man said, "The Soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets."

"I'm betting I could beat that," Tony stated.

"Oh, I'm sure you could, Mr. Stark," the man said, "Given time. But then you'd never know why you came."

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" Steve asked the man, walking up to the door. Adelaide stayed behind him, watching the man carefully.

"I thought about nothing else for over a year," he answered solemnly, stepping closer without fear, "I studied you. I followed you. But now that you're standing here, I just realized...there's a bit of green in the blue of your eyes. How nice to find a flaw."

"You're Sokovian," Steve said, his lips set into a thin line, "Is that what this is about?"

"Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell," the man admitted, "No. I'm here because I made a promise."

"You lost someone?" Steve asked, studying him. The man took his time to answer, swallowing.

"I lost everyone," the man said, "And so will you."

"An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again," the man said, "But one which crumbles from within? That's dead...forever."

Something about the way he said those last words brought chills to Adelaide and she glanced over her shoulder at Tony who was standing in front of a screen. She walked over to him, something not settling right in her stomach. Tony glanced at her and then back at the screen.