Chapter One Hundred Forty-Four

A/N: warning: super sad, lots of suspense, and HUGE plot twist

but good news! it's a long chapter :)

so if you read my message board, you'll know that i started rewatching new girl and i felt really bored and sluggish every day until i started rewatching it and suddenly i feel like my life has a purpose again and it's to watch new girl and fawn over nick miller and *spoiler* his relationship with jess. is it weird to say that i'm in love with their love? i just feel all 🥰🥰🥰 when nick does all the stupid things he does bc he's in love with jess but the best part is he doesn't even know it yet which makes it a kajillion times better and i just 🥰🥰🥰🥰

so long story short don't be surprised if i base peter and ada off of those two

anyway, we better get onto the chapter or i could talk about this show literally all day

————————————————————
"My message for you all, stay inside,

stay safe, and do not, by any means,

trust Director Nick Fury."
————————————————————

Happy had been on the phone all day.

He hadn't been able to get through to Fury himself, but those at SHIELD informed him that he was currently safe albeit very confused as he tried to figure out who was behind this.

But New York was asking one question: was Fury really the one to blame?

Reporters all across the state were scrambling to find answers. Many of them were crowded outside of SHIELD headquarters and the Avengers Facility in upstate New York, pouncing on anyone who dared to step foot outside and pound them with heavy questions.

Is Director Fury really the man behind this biological attack?

Who else was involved in this heinous crime?

Can SHIELD be trusted anymore?

Adelaide imagined Lukov sitting in his office, completely untouched by this chaos. He had sparked a flame that grew into a blazing fire and now he was sitting calmly, watching as those flames burned their way through the city.

When she asked Happy if they should tell Tony, Happy told him that he had tried to, but his and Pepper's phones were both switched off. She had tried calling them too, but no avail. Knowing Tony, he had probably turned them off so they could have the weekend to themselves without any distractions. It had been a good idea, considering that they would have been called back to New York within hours of even landing in Malibu. But that meant they were out of reach for the whole weekend, which was no help for them. And even if they had been able to reach them, Adelaide doubted they would have been able to do anything.

Because while everyone was pointing their fingers at Fury, Adelaide knew he wasn't the man to blame.

But it was her word against Fury's confession and she was a nobody with no proof to her claim. She could scream at the top of her lungs that Lukov was to blame, but no one would believe her. And even if she did, she was just as much to blame as Lukov was. She had helped him make the fumes in the first place, for fuck's sake.