Chapter Fifty-Two

A/N: Okay so today I realized how greedy people are. Well, technically, yesterday.

Sony and Disney: money >>>>>>>>

*insert huge eye roll* If they quit Tom Holland, istg they got another thing coming. They better figure their issues out before I knock on their door. They have no idea how much I love that man and his character. Seriously. Can't be just me...

ANYway Tadelaide (that sounds funny lmao) moments to make you cry because they're both just so damn cute and I love writing them. And I know this chapter is short, but like sUsPenSe so ya know,.

Fun fact. I rewrote this first scene three times. Fun for you, not so much for me.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

"Yes. I order you to forgive me."

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

They were sitting across from each other at the island, in the kitchen, unmoving. It was silent as if someone had pressed the pause button in their movie.

Adelaide was too afraid to look the billionaire in the eye.

"Adie," he said, softly breaking the silence and she was suddenly reminded of the first time he had coined the nickname. Had it only been a year? She swore it felt much longer.

What's your name again, kid?

Adelaide. 

Uh, yeah, no. Too long. Can I call you Adie? I'm gonna call you Adie.

"Tell me."

She could see the exhaustion around his eyes. It was taking a toll on both of them. The feeling overwhelmed her and she felt her face heating up with an unwanted emotion. She couldn't do this right now. It was all too much. She felt like her brain was melting.

"I can't," she finally said and she heard him sigh.

"I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong," he said, rubbing his face, "You've been miserable for a month now. You gotta let it out."

"I'm fine," she mumbled, sliding off the stool, "I'm going to bed." She needed to be alone right now to process whatever it was that had happened back at Peter's apartment. All those hours on the streets hadn't been enough. The shock was still running through her system. She wasn't sure if she felt like crying or screaming or both. But she was out of tears and energy and she couldn't do either.

She didn't know how much longer she could do this. Every time things felt like they were going right, they messed up. Again and again and again. Why didn't the universe want her to be happy?

How much more suffering did she owe this world?

Because of you, he might have killed other innocent people!

Damn it, you just – argh! I can't even look at you!

"Adie," he called out after her and she stopped without turning around. For a moment, Tony said nothing and silence filled the penthouse again.

"Please don't push me away," he finally said, "I'm here."

She glanced at him over her shoulder, looking into his eyes. The dark rings around them. The fading smile wrinkles. A couple of gray hairs. He looked so broken and Adelaide wished that she could fix him.