Chapter Sixty-Five

A/N: Guess who almost forgot to update today haha. It's my thanksgiving break so I lost track of time as usual. Whoops. But at least I didn't forget! :)

And I've got a pretty good playlist for this book now but I'm holding it back until certain things happen in the book cause otherwise the romance songs won't make any sense ;)

The picture up there is how Adie's hair looks now.

So this chapter is pretty much just more angst. Yay!

————————————————————
"But now you have everything you wanted.

I hope you're happy, Adelaide."
————————————————————

There was a knock at the door which pulled her attention away from the news playing on the tv and the sandwich from Delmar's in her hand. Muting the tv and balancing her sandwich on the armrest of the couch, she pushed herself to her feet and walked the three steps to the door.

All of the air was knocked out of her lungs as she took in the person standing in front of her.

"P-Pepper?" she managed to say. The woman smiled at her.

"Hi," she smiled and Adelaide wasn't sure if she should hug her. Would that be totally inappropriate?

"C-Come in," she stuttered instead, stepping aside.

Nodding, Pepper walked past her into the apartment. As Adelaide closed the door behind herself and saw the room through Pepper's eyes, she suddenly wished that she had cleaned up a bit. In her defense, she had not been expecting company. Especially not Pepper's.

"Um, you know, this is Queens and you live in Manhattan, right?" she asked as the woman sat down on the sofa and Pepper laughed. Adelaide thought she looked so out of place in her apartment with the clothes she was wearing. The teenager glanced down at what she was wearing and she tugged at the hem of her oversized Fry Day shirt.

Adelaide realized that this time a year ago, the three of them had been happily living at the Stark Tower, their biggest problem being that she couldn't remember anything. And now they had all separated, living in their own sad, lonely, pathetic lives.

She had never imagined that it would ever come to this.

"I'm right where I want to be," Pepper answered with a smile, looking around the room. Her smile wavered but with good reason. The apartment was practically a pigsty.

"Do you want some water?" she asked and Pepper shook her head as Adelaide took her sandwich from the armrest of the sofa to inside a Tupperware container in the kitchen. She had evidently lost her appetite.

"You dyed your hair. It suits you," the woman said.

"Thanks," she said. A while ago, after...everything, she decided to just go for her hair. People always say that you should leave your hair alone in times of depression, but she couldn't help it. She chopped it off and dyed it platinum. It was different at best. But it had started to grow on her lately.

She was a different person now so it only made sense that she changed her looks.

"But, uh, isn't it like...illegal for you to be here?" Adelaide said pulling up a chair across from the sofa. She sat down in it backwards, hooking her ankles around the legs of the chair and leaning her arms on the back of it.