Chapter Seventy-Four

A/N: I forgot. I forgot again! Why do I always forget it's Wednesdayyyy ugh. I've had the longest week omg I'm so exhausted and all I wanna do rn is be a lil spoon but I don't have a boo, sadly :(

So the last chapter was pretty angsty. Or no wait that was the chapter before. I don't even remember my own story damn. Anyway, this one's sad(ish).

Okay so yeah I'm about to collapse from exhaustion but here's the new chapter :)

———————————————————-

"She died in a fire. Burned alive."

———————————————————-

Adelaide,

I think this belongs to you. Thought you should know that Tony sold the Tower and moved out. We're at the Avengers Compound upstate now, if you're wondering. It'd be nice if you came to visit. I know I already said this, but he misses you. We all do. Please, come home.

Love,
Happy.

Adelaide opened the package.

It was the Deathboard. And her suit.

—————

Tony was at a funeral.

He didn't know whose it was. Everybody was crying, whispering things, staring at the ground. He didn't know any of these people. The coffin was at the front of the graveyard site. He began to make his way through the crowd of black coats and dresses and umbrellas.

The rain was pouring steadily, almost in an eerie sense. The sky was a dark gray, casting a miserable shadow onto everything under it. A crow crowed not too far away. It sounded like a laugh. Or maybe it was a warning.

"So young," someone whispered as he passed them.

"...should have paid more attention," someone else whispered.

"...never know when anything could happen."

"Can't believe this. They should have been more careful. Anger can really change a person."

"...I can't imagine how painful it must have been."

Tony's heart began to beat more frantically as he heard the spectators' whispers. Who were they talking about? Who was in the coffin up there? He began to run through a list of people in his head, trying to remember when he had seen them last and what the last thing he'd said to them was.

Finally, he broke through the crowd.

In the front was a bare white casket. It was closed but there was a framed picture beside it sitting on an easel. 

It was Adie.

"She died in a fire," a stranger taunted in his ear, "Burned alive. She tried to call you for help but you were too consumed with your anger to answer. They couldn't even fix her face enough for the funeral." The stranger laughed in his ear.

Tony stopped breathing.

His heart had just stopped. He looked around. Everything was in a negative light now. Had he died? The crow began crowing louder. The rain fell faster. It sounded like it was laughing at him. The crowd was getting scared.