Chapter One Hundred Twelve

A/N: HI

i know i said i wouldn't have a chapter ready for this wednesday but i couldn't help myself! this story is my escape.

buttt, due to lack of time, this chapter is suuuper short and literally nothing happens, but i just wanted to give y'all something rather than nothing so enjoy! :)

————————————————————
"Get me one blonde with sand

and half a dozen blowout patches."
————————————————————

When Adelaide woke up, Tony was still sound asleep beside her, snoring lightly.

She smiled at his sleeping face, wondering when the last time was that he had slept so peacefully. There weren't wrinkles or worry lines that she was so used to seeing. He looked much younger. Perhaps more closer to his mental age.

Slowly, as to not disturb him, she slid her feet off the side of the bed and headed towards the bathroom to brush her teeth. She was eager to take a shower to get the hospital off of her, but the rumble in her stomach told her it would have to wait. She was starved for a real, home-cooked meal that wasn't from the vending machine down the hall of her apartment or leftovers from Delmar's.

So when she opened her bedroom door a few minutes later and the smell of blueberry pancakes wafted down the hallway, Adelaide could just barely stop herself from running towards the kitchen as fast as she could.

Pepper and Happy were in the kitchen, making pancakes together. Well, Happy was making pancakes, Pepper was off to the side, making coffee. And there was a third individual who was standing in the kitchen as well with his back turned to her. But Adelaide instantly recognized him.

"Rhodey?" she said and all three adults turned around. Rhodey broke into the biggest smile and dropped everything to come to her.

"There she is!" he said before crushing her into a giant hug. Adelaide laughed, hugging him back. It had been so long since she'd last seen him, nearly six months.

"I called Tony and the idiot told me that you had been hospitalized after you were discharged," Rhodey said, pulling away, "I drove down here as soon as I heard."

"Never rely on him to tell you news on time," Adelaide laughed. Rhodey smiled, taking her in.

"So how are you?" he asked, referring not only to her hospitalization, but the past few months since...since Siberia. Adelaide smiled.

"Better," she said, "Much better."

Rhodey smiled, nodding. Suddenly, Adelaide remembered that the last time she had seen him, he had crashed onto the ground.

"But how are you?" she asked, suddenly worried, "You crashed." She pulled away, scanning him for injuries as if they would still be visible to her months later.

Rhodey laughed, shaking his head, "That was months ago. I'm okay now."

She gave him a look.

"Alright, I shattered my spine," he said. Adelaide smacked his arm.

"You call that fine!"