Chapter 36: The Promise

chapter 36: the promise •••

"Grogu."

You slow your movements as you step up from the ladder and into the doorway of the cockpit, listening as Din calls for his son. You can see Din swiveled around in his chair as he looks at Grogu, who's got the metal sphere in his tiny claws. Upon hearing his father say his name, Grogu looks away from the sphere, cooing as he glances at his father with excitement. Din chuckles softly, making you smile as you cross your arms and lean against the threshold.

Grogu looks back down at the sphere, but you can sense the mixed amusement and adoration coming from Din as he continues looking at Grogu. "Grogu."

Once again, Grogu looks up at Din. His reaction's even faster this time as his ears rise high on his head. Din chuckles softer this time, taking a breath as he reaches his arm forward.

"Give me the ball," Din commands in a gentle manner. When Din opens his gloved hand to Grogu, the baby tries to hide the sphere off to the side, grunting at his father in disapproval. Din tilts his helmet at his son. "Grogu, give me the ball." Still, Grogu keeps his hold on the ball, only slowly starting to move it again as he looks down at it. "Come on." Reluctantly, Grogu grunts and hands the sphere off to Din, who takes it into his gloved fingers and holds it the same way he did on Corvus. "Okay, here we go." Grogu squeals, tilting his head at his father. "You can have it, just like before."

Grogu gently starts to lift a hand up towards the ball. His eyes fall closed in focus and you can feel your heart beating just as quickly as it did on Corvus.

"Grogu, come on. You can have it."

Both of Grogu's hands start to reach out for the sphere now as he tries to take it from Din. One of your arms wraps around your body as the other picks nervously at the collar of your shirt. You try to feel relaxed by the sheer excitement that radiates from Din.

"Come on."

Finally, Grogu takes the ball from Din's fingers, holding it between his hands as he lets out a few coos of joy. You smile wide to yourself as Din likely does the same beneath his helmet.

"Dank farrik!" Din exclaims in a happy manner, slapping his cuisse as he spins back around in his chair. You giggle at the gesture but quickly stop when you hear Grogu coo sadly. He nearly throws the ball down into his lap—looking as if he's horrified at whatever reaction he's just earned from his father. You start to step forward, instinctively wanting to comfort him, but Din beats you to it. "Hey, no, I'm not mad at you! You did good." Grogu looks up at Din with concern, and you watch as Din faces him again. "I just..." Din pauses and you can tell his modulated voice is losing its strength, "When the nice lady said you had training, I just..."

Din trails off. Grogu's ears start to fall in worry as he looks at his father for clarification. You know Din won't be able to provide it. You feel another urge to comfort both your boys, but you hold yourself back, not wanting to intrude on the moment Din's having with his son.

With a sigh, Din reaches out to Grogu, taking the metal sphere from his lap and handing it to him. Grogu takes it with a quiet yet happy coo as Din leans back in his chair. "You're... very special, kid." Din's voice is more tense than before, making you cover your hand with your mouth as you instead let him continue. Grogu coos before he adds more. "We're gonna find that place you belong and they're gonna take real good care of you."

Din spins back around in the chair as he speaks, the evident sadness in his voice sending a shockwave of hurt through your heart as you whimper to yourself. "Din," you whisper under your breath. Grogu also babbles something at his father, as if he's attempting to comfort him as well. Din simply clicks around a few of the controls, waiting a few beats before he speaks again.