Chapter 57: Redemption*

chapter 57: redemption •••

Din exhales a breath of relief when the familiar planet comes into view. Despite the rather quick trip through hyperspace, every minute spent apart from his family has been torturous. It had been too close of a call back on Kalevala. While Bo-Katan had every right to want to attack the TIE Interceptors for what they did to her home, Din couldn't stop thinking about Astra and the kids being at the heart of the conflict. He was lucky his pleas worked.

As Din leads their descent onto the planet, he decides to reach out to Bo again via the comms. "I'm bringing us to a Mandalorian covert," he informs her. "This is how we have survived in exile."

Bo's response is flat. "I'm familiar."

"It's a secret location and you are our guest," Din goes on. He aches when he glances back and sees Astra's empty seat.

"They still live by the old ways," Bo reminds him.

"Yes," Din confirms. "It will go smoother if you keep your helmet on. Trust me."

Bo-Katan scoffs, but Din's not listening to her any longer. He can hear high-pitched rambling in the background, no doubt the voice of his daughter. His heart does a backflip in his chest just at the thought of her. Being somewhere safe after their tumultuous journey has made Din feel as if he can finally be a proper father again, though he's certain Astra would scold him for having such a thought. You're always an incredible father, she would insist. But Zora's wailing is loud within his haunted mind and all he wants now is to hold her and remind her they're all safe.

Din lands the N-1 just outside the mouth of the covert's cave, urging Bo-Katan to do the same with the Gauntlet. He's quick to open his canopy and stand in his seat to survey the area. Paz's shadow looms by the cave, but otherwise, the rest of the covert's chosen to remain hidden for now. Din glances over at the Gauntlet and a weight falls off his armored shoulders when he sees Bo-Katan leading his family down the boarding ramp.

Din all but jumps out of his ship and walks as quickly as his boots can take him over to them. He sets one hand on Astra's shoulder and the other upon her cheek. "Hey," he breathes, his voice hushed. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Astra assures him with a smile and a nod. She lifts her hand to cover his. "I'm glad to see that you are, too."

Din returns her nod. His visor shifts to the closed pod at her side. "And the kids?"

"As happy as ever. I told Grogu to keep the pod closed for now." Astra takes his hand from her face and laces her fingers with his. She gives the cave a nervous glance, and when Din's own gaze follows it, he can see more of the covert emerging. "Are you ready for this?"

Din gives her hand a squeeze. "More than I can say." He keeps Astra's hand in his even as he steps aside and faces Bo-Katan. "Let me handle this."

Bo nods, allowing Din to take the lead. The three of them make their way across the sandy shore, the pod following them. The distance between them and the covert closes more and more without the Mandalorians' grips on their weapons loosening. Frustration starts to boil within Din's chest as Paz steps forward. "Come no further." Paz's voice hides no disgust. "You are an apostate, Din Djarin."

Din stops and rests his weight on his hip. He's aware of the way Astra draws herself closer to his side. "No longer." He nods for further assurance. "I have been to the mines of Mandalore."

"Impossible." Paz approaches Din even more. "The mines were collapsed in the Purge. The planet is cursed."

Din composes himself with a quick breath. He gains the faith to drop Astra's hand and take one more step forward. "These are lies meant to keep us in exile."