Chapter 4: The Soldier

chapter 4: the soldier •••

It's been two weeks since you stopped for resources and Din has still been looking for a good planet to hide on. You've made just a few pitstops, mostly landing only to stretch your legs and get a breath of fresh air. You spent no more than an hour on any planet you land on, for fear of bounty hunters getting too close—both to the child and to you.

You've gotten even closer to Din over the past week, sharing conversations whenever you're riding through hyperspace. Those conversations became more and more frequent and you're surprised you've gotten this Mandalorian to talk as much as he has. He still keeps his sentences short and to the point, but he's elaborated quite a bit on his life before the Mandalorians and even some of the in between. You thought it would only be fair if you did the same. The more you shared, the more connected to him you felt, as you realized you've both suffered quite a bit from pain and loss in the past.

Once, you even heard him talk just a bit of the language of his Creed. You were sitting with the child, giving one of his long ears a stroke as he looked up at you and let out a loud coo of affection. A laugh escaped your lips involuntarily and you gave his furry head another brush. At the sight of this interaction, you heard Din mumble something, his modulated voice nearly inaudible.

"Copikla," he said, his helmet tilted in its gentle manner towards the both of you. Your gaze snapped up to him upon hearing the unfamiliar word. His head then straightened, as if he'd just realized what he'd said.

"Copikla?" you echoed curiously. "What does that mean?"

Din stayed silent for a moment. "Cute," he finally responded. "I mean, the kid. Women don't like being called that. It's Mando'a."

You tilted your head at him. "You know Mando'a?"

Din shrugged. "Not much. I picked up some when I first lived with the other Mandalorians. My parents had taught me one phrase."

"Was it that one?"

He shook his head. "It was ni kar'tayl gar darasuum." His words were quite heavy with emotion as he said them.

"And what does that mean?"

Din's helmet fell to the hands that had stopped cleaning his weapons earlier, and he simply stared at them. It seemed as if he were forcing the words out of his throat. "I love you." He paused before adding on. "Literally, I will hold you in my heart forever."

Your heart both warmed and ached for him. It must've been a phrase that was deeply personal to him, one that his parents would've often said to him as he grew up. He likely hadn't heard those words since. "That's beautiful," you reflected. Din didn't respond as he went back to cleaning his weapons.

You haven't forgotten that moment since. The way in which Din spoke the language with such gentleness and pride is still so profound to you. You wish there was a way to learn more from him and hear him speak the language more, but you believe he doesn't usually speak it in his everyday vocabulary—and most of it only brings back painful memories. You would hate to bring those back into his mind, so you don't press him to speak any more than he already did that day.

You're about to land on Sorgan, the planet Din describes as the best place to lay low with its nearly nonexistent population density. He actually calls it a backwater scughole—just the place you're willing to hide out on. The child, evidently, has no opinion, and just excitedly coos as the Razor Crest descends into a makeshift landing zone of the Sorgan woods.

Din rises from the pilot's chair, descending his way from the cockpit. You follow him with the child tucked protectively in your arms. Din meets you at the foot of the ladder, and you gesture down at the child.