Chapter 52: Restoration

chapter 52: restoration •••

Din keeps his wife close to his side as he observes Greef's reaction to the news. He's known the magistrate, the High Magistrate, a long time. Pirates being tangled up in his past wouldn't surprise Din.

"Who are they?" Din asks, his voice low.

Greef looks at him with tight lips. "Probably some old business partners," he answers, his tone matching Din's.

Din nods at his old friend. "I can help you with them." He turns to look at Astra and sets his hands on her shoulders. "Rid'ika, stay here with the kids."

Astra shakes her head. "Din," she keeps her voice quiet, "we said no separating."

"I know." Din releases a gentle sigh and brings himself closer to her, until his cuirass is nearly touching her chest. "But we don't know what kind of threat we could be dealing with here."

Still, Astra shakes her head. Her eyes are widened more than usual as she lifts her hands to grasp Din's wrists. It's like Din can see the scene replaying in her eyes, the winds of Tython dropping Din to the surface and carrying Astra to the looming starcruiser in the sky. When she speaks, there's a tremor in her voice that she tries to suppress. "Please don't make me."

Din lifts one of his gloved hands to the side of her face. "Okay." He's pleased to see the tension fall from Astra's shoulders as she leans into his touch. Din circles his jaw, both in concern for her and for their children. "Just... don't get too close. Blend in with the other civilians so they don't think we're associated."

Astra nods. "I can do that." She takes Din's hand and removes it from her face, instead holding it between both of hers. "I'm sorry if I'm being..."

"No." Din shakes his head at her. "You're right. This is exactly how it happened back then." The cold chill of the memory gnaws at his nerves. "I won't make that mistake again."

"Mando," Greef speaks up, drawing the couple's attention. "We've gotta' go."

"I'm right behind you," Din assures him. He looks at his wife again. "Wait one minute after we've left to follow us. That'll make things more believable."

"Okay." Astra wraps her hand around the back of Din's helmet for a quick Keldabe kiss. "Good luck, riduur."

"You too." Din allows himself one last glance at his wife and kids before he steps away and follows Greef outside the office. He pauses only to add one more thing. "Ni kar'tayl..."

"Gar darasuum." Astra finishes the phrase with a fond smile.

It's her warmth that carries Din forward with Greef. Such a brief separation, even for so minor a threat, proves to be difficult for their family given everything they've been through. Din's thankful that Astra was willing to speak up about it. His instinct is to keep them far away from danger, but in reality, even just a moment spent away from them is nothing short of agonizing.

"Do you have any idea why these pirates are here?" Din questions Greef on their way to the courtyard.

Greef releases a deep exhale. "I have quite a few," he responds. "But I'm not sure which one it is."

Din tightens his hands into fists. "Are they dangerous?"

Greef gives him an amused look. "Not for someone like you."

Din nods and focuses on the way ahead again. "Good."

They make their way out of the building and down the stairs, heading closer to the heart of the courtyard. Din can hear their voices before they even turn the corner by IG-11's statue.