Chapter 6: Confliction

chapter 6: confliction •••

The crackling of the fire you're sitting around is no proper distraction to your thoughts. You can't stop creating plans and thinking of tactics for the battle that lies ahead. The image of the AT-ST imprint haunts your mind, and even worse images of the possibilities of the damage it can wreak upon the village torment you. You won't be able to fully rest until you help these innocent people from the threat that hangs over their heads—even if that means risking yourself.

"Hey," Din's modulated voice suddenly says from beside you. Your head turns to face him, and you see him looking at you with his head slightly tilted. The light of the flickering fire reflects off his beskar warmly. "You all right?"

"Yeah," you assure him in the best lie you can manage, even offering a smile along with it. "Just tired."

Although you turn your head back to the fire, you can still feel Din's eyes on you. Cara, who's on the other side of you, also stares at you with sympathetic eyes. "Why don't you go get some rest?" she suggests. "We can start planning tomorrow."

"But—." you try to say.

"Please." Din insists that time, capturing your attention once again. "I know you're worried for them, but they're safe—for now. We've had a long day of traveling and settling in. You need to rest."

You sigh, looking between the two experienced warriors. "Well, you both need rest, too," you remind them. You stand up from the log you'd been seated on, pausing to speak one more time. "Don't be too far behind me."

They both give you a nod, and that's enough to satisfy you. Din's and your hut isn't far from the fire—you both wanted to keep it close so you could tend to the child if necessary—and you're inside after just a few steps. You hover over the child's crib, satisfied to see it sleeping peacefully. A faint smile spreads across your lips as you ever so gently run your hand over its ear. You then walk over to your cot, plopping down onto it with a deep exhale. For a moment, you continue to sit there, your arms wrapping around your knees as you stare off into the darkness.

Your mind won't stop moving. This always happens in these situations: you remember all the times when you, too, were alone and in need of rescue—but had trouble receiving it. Never knowing if you'd make it to the next day alive, since something bad could happen at any moment. Always living from sunrise to sunset, unsure if you'd see the next day's dawning. The saddest part is you never got the same help you're now providing to the villagers. You had to become your own help.

It all started with the devastation of Alderaan. The moment your parents died, you'd been launched headlong into a life of chaos—never knowing who to trust. It haunts you all the time, but especially when you know of someone or some people that are about to go through the same thing. You can't bear to see it happen to them.

This is why you feel so protective of and connected to Din. He had the same experiences as you growing up. He understands what you've been through, because he's felt the same amount of pain, loss, and fear as well. You know this is why he's so protective of you in return. There's an unspoken treaty between the two of you now to prevent that kind of suffering from happening to you both again. Since you both had to grow up being your own protectors, you now feel the need to help protect each other—while also making sure the child gets the protection you both never received.

You would continue sitting there and losing yourself in your thoughts had your eyelids not started drooping lower and lower. Din still hasn't come inside yet, but you don't think you'll be able to wait for him in your sudden exhaustion. You go through the motions as you put yourself to bed, nestling yourself under the blanket as if it'll guard you from your deep thoughts. Within a few moments, you manage to leave them behind and fall into a deep sleep—or so, you thought.