Chapter 14: Domination

chapter 14: domination •••

Din gives the wall another punch as he contemplates what to do. The anger that's pumping through his veins is making him dangerous; he can't stop the flood of violent thoughts he's experiencing. He's tried to push those away over the years, especially as he's tried to change into a better person, but seeing them hurt you like that—hearing them threaten to take you away from him—was enough to snap him back to that bloodthirsty state.

He needs a plan.

It forms quickly once he hears another prison droid approaching. He refuses to let this group get away with everything they've done to you. It was one thing for them to harass and hurt him, but for them to do that to you in order to hurt him was the final blow. He's not going to let them get off this prison ship—except for the person who'll get you the money you need to keep yourself healthy.

Din creeps closer to the windows of the cell, looking out to see the prison guard strolling by. He narrows his eyes underneath the helmet, waiting until it passes by his cell completely to reach his arm out and captivate the droid with his grapple hook. Turning his back against the door and giving a large pull, Din soon hears the droid hit the cell door hard, and Din keeps pulling until the droid reaches to free himself. He dodges a blaster shot that ricochets off the cell walls, taking a firm hold on its arm and pulling until it rips off its body. Oil spills everywhere, but Din doesn't mind it as he takes the blaster from the droid's limp arm and shoots its head. He pushes the droid's other arm out of the window, leaning down to grab the one he's pulled off and insert its finger into the door's lock. After a few turns, it successfully unlocks, and Din feels a wave of adrenaline hit him as he launches the rest of his plan into action and trots his way out of the cell.

Meanwhile, you're still being dragged along with the group, who's trying to find the Razor Crest again and get away quickly. Your negativity has made you silent, plaguing you with torturous thoughts of the man left behind in the cell, but a sudden call from Zero changes your demeanor entirely. "Zero to Mayfeld," its robotic voice says over the commlink. Mayfeld stops the group, holding his arms out as he prepares to radio in. "You have a potential problem."

"What?" Mayfeld questions impatiently, looking around at the rest of the group. Your heart begins to pound harder in your chest.

"He has escaped," Zero informs you.

Your smile is inevitable at that point, and the group lets out audible expressions of distress at the news. "I told you we should've gotten rid of him!" Xi'an exclaims at Mayfeld, hissing as she clenches her fists in frustration. They start arguing back and forth, but cut themselves off when the lights suddenly go red. Everyone falls silent, looking around suspiciously—and panicking as soon as falling doors begin to trap you right where you are.

Your smile widens. It's Din, you think to yourself. He got to the control room.

At the thought of Din taking control once again, you can't help laughing. The sound catches everyone's attention, and they turn to where you're still secured in Burg's arm. You lick your lips to try to find your voice, finally stating, "You guys are so fucked now."

Mayfeld approaches you, his brow creased as he grimaces at you. "Too bad you won't be able to see it," he says, and before you can question what he means by that, you feel him inject something into your neck that instantly puts you in complete darkness.

Back in the control room, Din's pleased to see the panic of the group—and the added bonus of your smile and laughter at the sight. He does, however, find himself having to control his actions when he sees Mayfeld inject you with something. The sight of your limp body tumbling to the floor almost makes him cry out, but he remembers that it's likely a temporary serum; they'd have to bring you in alive if they intended on getting any credits for you. Din swallows the urge to punch the screen and instead keeps himself focused on the plan, continuing to drop walls all over the ship.