Desolation (Interlude)

desolation (interlude) •••

Days that begin with the clunking of Din's armor are always the hardest.

You release a quiet sigh as you watch him from your bed. You've just woken up to the sight of Din putting on his flight suit and starting to put all his armor on. Aside from the rare times you both go to the main marketplace in Sorgan or travel offworld, Din never wears his armor—except for when his mind is attacking him the most. He needs to physically hide within his armor on those days, shutting himself away from everything and everyone around him. Din still lets you in, although you never push him to.

Subconsciously, one of your hands rubs circles on the sheet atop your swollen stomach, the feeling of it somehow both natural and strange. You're not sure Din knows you've awakened; part of you hopes he doesn't. Din always feels guilty on these days, no matter how few and far between they are. No matter how many times you assure him that you understand, he never believes you, instead wishing he was the picture of strength he sees you as.

You just wish you could get Din to see himself the way you see him.

Din finishes dressing by sliding the helmet on his head. The silhouette of him with his armor is just as familiar as the one without it, still making you smile as widely as you would on any other morning. As soon as Din stands from where he's been seated on the floor of the hut, he turns to face you, his helmet tilting to the side when he realizes you're awake. Your heart already starts to ache.

"Good morning, riduur," you greet softly, pleased when Din walks over and kneels beside your bed. You extend the hand that's been on your stomach to ask for his, pleased when he lets you take a hold of it. You pull his gloved hand towards you, lowering his sleeve and pressing a gentle kiss on the skin between his glove and his vambrace. Din holds a breath in his chest at your tender actions.

"Good morning," Din finally responds, his modulated voice quiet as he brushes his hand over your head. "Are you feeling okay today?"

You nod, continuing to smile at him as your hand returns to your stomach. "Yeah. The little one's behaving so far."

You can picture the smile behind Din's helmet at your words, instead watching as his visor looks towards your stomach. "I'm... very glad." His tone, thick with tension, contradicts his words—even though you know he means them genuinely. There's an apology from him that hangs in the air between you, but Din knows better than to truly say it. "Does fruit sound all right for breakfast this morning?"

You nod. Din tilts his helmet even more before he leans close to you, resting his helmet against your forehead. The cool feeling of beskar is as welcome as the warm skin that lies beneath it, causing you to close your eyes as you accept the affectionate touch. When Din pulls back, he repeats the gesture with your stomach, also setting his gloved hand upon it before he starts to move away. You sit up on your elbow, reaching a hand towards him as you call out gently. "Wait."

Instantly, Din kneels back down, allowing you to come closer as you lift your hands to the sides of his helmet. You pause, waiting for consent to lift it. Din offers a small nod, causing you to lift the helmet just enough to kiss him. You keep it soft and sweet, not wanting to overwhelm him in the face of such a hard day. When you pull away, you brush your thumb over his lips, slowly letting the helmet fall back over his face.

"I love you, Din." Your words are heavy with meaning, your gaze searching his visor to make sure he truly understands it.

Din doesn't respond for a few moments and you figure that he can't. Still, you're as patient as ever, brushing your thumbs over his beskar cheeks until he's able to present an answer. "I... love you more than I can say, rid'ika." The words are strained, his rasp nearly giving out a few times as he covers one of your hands with his. "I'll be back with breakfast soon."