Chapter 51: The Quest

chapter 51: the quest •••

Astra tightens her grasp on Zora, clutching the giggling child to her chest. "You said this was going to be a calm and quick trip!"

Din's response comes through a focused breath. "That was before I knew they'd draw the attention of a giant sea creature." His helmet turns over his armored shoulder as he tries to steal a look at Astra and Zora. "Hang on back there."

Astra's too busy securing Zora in place to respond or to observe what else is outside the transparisteel that surrounds her. Zora's nearly one-year-old curiosity has started to get the best of her, but with her father currently flipping the ship over and preparing to fire, exploration isn't exactly ideal. At least Din has Grogu, Astra reminds herself with a soft sigh.

Din flips the ship again and Zora lets out a hearty laugh, the kind that brings a smile to Astra's face no matter how hard she tries to resist it. "Is she laughing?" Din questions, his own smile evident in his tone.

"Are you surprised?" Astra retorts. She earns a soft chuckle through the intercom, along with an excited squeal from the other Djarin child. The sound only makes Zora laugh louder. "All right, angel." Astra presses a kiss upon the curly hair of Zora's head. "We have to hush. K'uur."

Zora obeys, though her curious brown eyes still widen at their surroundings. Her little fingers tighten around Astra's own as she joins her daughter in observing the atmosphere they've flown into. There's a sandy shore that's full of helmeted Mandalorians, a sight that would've made her heart fall even if the giant sea creature hadn't been there. Astra can see children lingering behind the front line of forces and her chest inflames with panic on their behalf. She holds Zora closer.

The shot Din takes is calculated and simple, hitting its target with no mercy yet no harm done to those who watch. With the first obstacle cleared, Astra holds her breath and continues to look out at the group of stunned Mandalorians. They would become the very next obstacle, and given Din's supposed crime, she isn't sure which one would be more hostile.

Din lands the starfighter with ease on an empty spot along the shore. He slides open the transparisteel above their heads, earning a curious coo from Zora, and looks out at the group he used to call his tribe. Astra hasn't seen so many of them since the day she entered their covert on Nevarro. She wonders if any of those Mandalorians are still here.

"Din Djarin." The Armorer's voice is calm, steady. Astra has no doubt that the favor Din just did for the tribe is the cause for her civility.

"We wish to speak with you," Din responds. His tone is just as composed and formal as the Armorer's. When the Armorer remains silent, Din goes on. "We won't be long."

The Armorer takes a visible breath while Astra holds her own. To not be directly by Din's side in the waiting is almost torturous; the tension that oozes from his beskar is palpable. When her golden helmet offers a firm nod, the air becomes lighter and cooler, and Din returns the gesture with a confident straightening of his armored shoulders. The Armorer begins to walk off while the other Mandalorians disperse and recover from the fight.

Astra's become no better at trying to get out of the starfighter while balancing Zora on her hip. She quickly outgrew her beskar-fused sling, which Din then made into clothing for her—though its absence is now strongly felt in struggles such as this.

"I've got her," Din says in a soft voice from alongside the ship. Astra hands Zora off to him and hears her loud screech of delight. Din chuckles and lets Zora clutch his bandolier. "Hello to you too, baby girl."

Din keeps a gloved hand extended to help Astra down, making her chest warm almost as much as her face does at their audience. She presses a hand upon his cuirass and pushes herself up to kiss his beskar cheek. "Ready?"