Chapter 71: Home*

chapter 71: home •••

"The people of Nevarro appreciate all you've done, Mando."

Greef's words don't help to pull Din out of the dreamlike state he's stuck in. Astra's gaze on him only worsens it in the most wonderful way. Today, he's like a Wookiee youngling on Life Day, the happiest he's ever been.

"I want to personally give you this deed to the cabin just outside of town," Greef goes on, smiling from ear-to-ear as he hands the deed to Din, "where you can lay low with your family." He leans in close and adds one more thing with an inflection of amusement. "Between adventures."

Din clutches the deed tight in his left hand. When he speaks, his voice is strained with a gratitude he can't quite bring to words. "Thank you." Din reaches his free hand forward to give Greef's a firm shake, holding it a moment longer than usual.

As soon as they pull away from each other, Astra steps up to Greef, going for an embrace rather than a handshake. Greef lets out a laugh of mixed surprise and joy, patting Astra's back as she speaks. "Thank you, Greef." Astra steps back to her place at Din's side, close enough now for her arm to brush against his. "You have no idea how much this means to us."

Greef smiles and bows his head in respect. "Please, there's no need to thank me. You deserve it." Greef bends down to get closer to Grogu, who's standing just beside him on the stairs. "And that goes for you too, Din Grogu."

"Geef?" Zora's voice asks next from her place in the floating pod.

Greef chuckles and leans towards Zora next. "You too, Miss Mando."

Zora giggles and claps her hands together in joy. Din shakes his helmet and stares at the deed in his hand for a moment. He won't be able to fully believe it until he sees it, so for now, he forces himself to stick to the present. "We have a gift for you as well," Din announces, looking up at Greef once again. He then looks to the side and nods at the Anzellans, giving them the cue.

IG-11 clanks his way onto the scene, refurbished with the red of Greef's Magistrate robes as he waves at the people he passes. "Greetings, citizens," IG's voice announces. "I am IG-11, your new Marshal." Greef steps down from the stairs in disbelief as he watches IG-11 enter. "Your new Marshal of Nevarro."

Din watches Greef continue making his way towards IG-11. He shares a look with Astra, who's beaming just as much as he is underneath his helmet. Neither one of them would have been able to serve as marshal and remain tied down to Nevarro, but bringing back their old friend fulfills the job perfectly - and hopefully serves as a proper thank-you for Greef's generous provision of the cabin.

"I am here to serve and protect the citizenry," IG-11 continues to the gathering crowd. Greef works his way into the group to start applauding the new marshal's arrival. The volume of their cheers drowns out the rest of whatever IG-11 has to say.

Din continues to watch until Astra's head rests against his arm, drawing his attention back to her. Her gloved fingers weave through his own as she smiles at him, her gaze brighter than ever as she asks the question that's been hanging in the air between them. "Is it time to go home?"

Her words, as simple as they are, nearly knock the breath from Din's lungs entirely. He glances at Greef and IG-11 one last time, just to see their friends as busy as ever. "Yeah, cyar'ika." Din squeezes his wife's hand and turns to face her, resting his helmet against her forehead. "Let's go home."

Astra smiles as wide as her lips allow her, but she also closes her eyes, taking Din's helmet between her hands. Din's brow furrows beneath his beskar in slight concern. When he starts to tilt his head, Astra's eyes reopen, her gaze quickly considering him. "I'm okay." She laughs and nods for further reassurance. "I'm more than okay. I'm just trying to memorize this moment."