Ethereal (Interlude)

ethereal (interlude) •••

Your eyes open lazily to the glow of sunlight filtering in through the carefully woven walls. Often, you forget that you're not in the dark compartment and sorry-excuse-for-a-bedroom on the Crest any longer. You bite back a smile at the thought as you gently move your head from where it's been nestled in Din's bare chest, observing the way the small glimmers of sunlight bathe over his peaceful face. It highlights the various scars and healing scratches there, making his skin glow in an angelic manner. You can't help letting a smile grow completely now as you dare to lift one of your hands, gingerly brushing your knuckles down the side of his cheek. His skin is soft until you reach the stubble on his jaw. You often find yourself in disbelief that this is the life you're leading after everything that's happened—but the one thing you truly will never get a full grasp on is being married to this Mandalorian and having the privilege to see his face every day.

Knowing the task at hand in finding the child's true home will be hefty and needing time to recover from the gruesome events as of late, you both decided to lay low somewhere for a little while until you're ready to move on. Your immediate choice, of course, was Sorgan. The villagers welcomed you back with open arms, pleased to see that you'd made it out alive. They even threw you both a reception for your recent marriage, celebrating deep into the night with homemade baked goods, food, and lots of dancing—which certainly took some convincing on Din's part. Yet, in the aftermath of everything, he's been much more willing to try new things, which you're sure his near-death experience contributes greatly to.

This time, Omera was able to place you into the hut where Cara previously stayed, which is surprisingly roomier with the same crib for the child as the last time. It offers you both a lot more privacy, dissipating any fears Din would have about removing his helmet. Sometimes, Omera lets the child stay in her hut to have sleepovers with his dear friend Winta, giving you both even more opportunities to have alone time together. That was the case last night, and you weren't shy about making the most of it, now finding yourself tangled up solely in the combination of your sheets and Din's body.

You're so lost in your thoughts that you barely notice Din beginning to stir, his brown eyes opening to meet yours warmly. It feels like sweet honey dripping into tea as you share an affectionate gaze, bringing a strong feeling you're not sure you'll ever get used to. You instead begin to run the pads of your fingertips against his cheek, your heart warming as he leans into the touch. No words have to be spoken just yet; absorbing this intimate moment is too important. Din carefully lifts one of his hands and places it against your chin, reaching his thumb out and brushing it gently over your lips. His gaze watches his actions carefully, as if he's seeing this feature of yours for the first time.

Slowly and gently, you lean forward until your lips press against his, the movement lazy at first and only deepening when you allow your lips to part. His hand brushes along your jawline and moves to your hair, running it through his fingers. Yours do the same to his, causing you both to exchange soft sighs between you. The kiss is long and stays slow, only ending when you've lost your breath completely. Gentle pants fall from your lips and Din's smile becomes apparent as he brings his hand back to your cheek.

"Jate vaar'tur, cyar'ika," Din says in a soft voice, pressing an additional kiss to the tip of your nose.

"Good morning to you too, riduur," you respond, releasing a lighthearted giggle as you give his lips a lazy peck. When you pull away, you keep your face close to his, unable to stop smiling as your thumb continually brushes over the skin of his cheek. You're still not over how handsome he looks in the glow of the morning light. You think he must be an angel of sorts. You know he's probably thinking the same thing about you.