Chapter 61: The Siege

chapter 61: the siege •••

Astra steadies herself with a calculated breath as she views the holoplans in front of her.

"Pirate King Gorian Shard is captaining a Cumulus Class Corsair carrying a complement of snubfighters," Bo-Katan informs the group through the intercom, though Astra stands alongside Paz and the Armorer inside the Gauntlet's cockpit. She watches the model of the ship appear in the blue light. "It has aerial bombardment capabilities."

Astra grimaces at that. It gives the pirates an advantage she and Din haven't seen in any of the villages they've helped thus far. She crosses her arms over her armored chest.

"The N-1 will distract the Corsair and her snubfighters as we drop in to liberate the planet below," Bo goes on. Astra's been well aware of this plan, but the mention of her family's starfighter still makes her stomach tighten with fierce nerves. "Nevarro is an independent planet and no longer under remnant Imperial or New Republic protection. But it's that very independence that makes it appealing for you to settle."

Astra smiles at the memory of what she and Din discussed the night before. A place of their own, perhaps a cabin style, fully furnished with a warmth that can't quite be put to words. It could be just in reach.

"You lived there once, hiding in the sewers," Bo reminds them. Astra recalls the haunting twists and turns of the tunnels they explored during their escape from Nevarro so long ago. "But now, you can be heroes."

Bo-Katan looks around the group and nods. Paz turns to Astra and gestures with his helmet towards the drop seats they'd come from. "Let's return to our post."

Astra nods to agree and starts to follow Paz. She stops for a moment and turns towards Bo, the corners of her lips lifting in a small smile. "Keep an eye on the crazy pilot of that starfighter, will you?"

Bo chuckles with amusement. "You've got it, sister."

Astra beams at the endearment and continues to follow Paz. They return to their seats alongside the other members of the covert, bringing a rush of adrenaline through Astra's veins. It's been many months since their last battle at Mos Espa, aside from the quick fight she participated in against the cyborg on Mandalore. But just as Din had reminded her before, she's been training for this, and now she has armor and additional weapons that will help her.

It's not the battle she's nervous for, though. It's the fact that most of her heart remains in the sky above the village, preparing to take the heat of the attack to allow for her and the others to move in. Astra would never doubt Din, and she won't start now, but love doesn't allow for rationality and logic. Her heart won't beat in its same steady rhythm until all three of them are back in her arms, safe and sound.

The drop out of hyperspace is loud from where Astra sits. She tightens her gloved hands into fists on top of her armored thighs. She wishes she could have a helmet to hide the way her lips twist in worry at the thought of Din starting the plan. Instead, she looks down, comforting herself the best she can with memories of Din's cleverness and strength in times such as this.

"You're a protective pair," Paz observes, drawing Astra from her thoughts as she looks up at him. His helmet's tilted at her.

"The galaxy hasn't always been kind to us," Astra informs him. The scar that stretches across her face tells the stories she doesn't wish to relive.

"I understand." Paz's modulated voice is low. His armored shoulders rise and fall in a deep breath. "But it seems that with each challenge you've faced, you've become stronger." He gestures to the armor Astra now wears. "This time won't be any different."