Chapter 55: The Torment

chapter 55: the torment •••

Astra knows the scream she suppresses with her hand would be blood-curdling if she were to let it be revealed to the open air of the tunnel.

She remains pinned down in the dirt by the giant droid's leg that's lodged itself into her shoulder. Her hand is glued to her mouth to keep any sounds of pain tucked away. Their children need at least one of their parents to protect them, and with Din now motionless inside the droid's trap, Astra prepares herself to take on that role. Making sudden noises would only reveal her presence to the droid who's chosen to remain focused on Din.

The droid moves and Astra screws her eyes shut in her struggle not to scream again as the metal leg leaves her shoulder. Most of the pain of her wound is blinded by shock for now, though she's aware that it won't last long. Astra's devastated to watch her husband get carried away by one of his only fears in the galaxy, but before she can let herself worry even more about him, she has to focus on finding and protecting their children.

It's Grogu who finds her first. Astra's just managed to sit up using her good arm when the pram floats beside her. She's surprised to see Zora asleep beside Grogu, though his frantic babblings towards Astra and his tiny hand brushing over her forehead inform her that it must've been Grogu's doing to keep his sister quiet.

"Good job, ad'ika," Astra breathes, running her good hand over his ear. "It's very important that we all stay quiet."

Despite her words, Grogu releases a loud and horrified shriek at the sight of Astra's bleeding wound. She glances at it and curses at its severity. Astra works as quickly as she can to remove the medkit she'd packed on her belt and open it up. Grogu hops out of the pod and approaches the wound, closing his eyes and lifting a hand towards it. Astra shakes her head and covers his hand with her own.

"No, Grogu," Astra insists. "Not right now." She runs her hand over his head when he coos at her with confusion and desperation. "I know it's bad, but you need to save your energy. You already put your sister to sleep, and I'm gonna need your help to keep protecting her." Astra offers the most reassuring smile she can muster, despite their circumstances. "I'm okay. Don't worry."

Grogu's ears lower and then lift again. Astra picks up the small container of bacta spray and grits her teeth as she administers it. The groan that escapes her is tight, a result of her trying to keep the sound tucked away from her children. Once it's covered, she takes a wrap and ties it around her shoulder as best as she can with only one hand to help her. The end result is messier than she would've liked, but it'll at least serve its purpose.

"Okay," Astra sighs, reassembling her medkit and securing it on her belt once again. "Did you see where they took your father?"

Grogu hops back in the pram and points towards the passageway. Astra nods and stands to her feet, grunting at the effort it requires from her injured arm. She takes a hold of her blaster and lets Grogu lead the way in his pod, though she stays close to keep him safe. Each step she takes is calculated and cautious, her focus set on her children but her fears settled with her husband. The image of his helmet hanging from the droid is stuck in her mind and she can't bring herself to think about what was done to him to make that possible.

"Did you see what they did to him?" Astra asks Grogu, her voice remaining hushed.

Grogu's ears lower as he babbles and points to the side of his neck. Astra grits her teeth, recognizing the gesture. It's similar to what Mayfeld did to her on that prison ship so long ago, the day she got her scar. She gives her haphazardly-wrapped wound a quick glance. Another scar to join the others, she thinks, though she prays to the stars that for Din's sake it'll remain more hidden.