Chapter 53: The Burden

chapter 53: the burden •••

Waking up the next morning is almost cruel for Astra. It's the first time she's gotten to peacefully awaken in her husband's arms for much too long, thanks to the miraculous lengthy slumber of their two children. Din rouses at the same time she does and kisses her enough to make up for whatever time they'll lose on the journey ahead. They manage to drag themselves out of bed and prepare themselves as well as their children for the day's adventures.

Greef is already in his office with IG-11's parts when the Djarin family stops by. Din pushes the hovercart while Grogu sits atop it and lets the empty pram float by his side. Astra and Zora trail behind the magistrate and his old friend, the youngest Djarin babbling as she plays with Astra's tunic.

"Say 'Papa,'" Astra encourages her in a soft voice. Zora coos and smiles just at the sound of her father's title. Astra takes one of her tiny hands and waves it at Din's back. "'Hi, Papa!'"

Zora giggles and waves on her own. "Baba!"

Din turns his helmet over his shoulder for a moment to face her. "Hi, Zozo," he responds with warmth and a smile Astra can hear. He lifts a gloved hand to pat her head before he faces the way ahead again.

"Now, say 'Mama,'" Astra continues. She points to herself. "'Hi, Mama!'"

Zora makes a long mmm sound with a focused knit in her brow. Astra laughs and kisses her forehead.

"So close, Zo." Astra points at Grogu. "Say hi to your brother. 'Hi, Grogu!'"

Zora exhales a few sharp excited breaths and claps her hands together. "Go!"

Astra grins at her daughter. "That's it, Zo! 'Grogu!'"

"Go!" Zora cheers. Din steals another look at them, his helmet tilting in admiration of the adorable sound. "Go!"

Grogu's ears lift on his head as he lets out a long coo of understanding. Din pats his head while Astra's smile only grows wider. There's not a single thing she wouldn't do for this precious family of hers.

"You've got quite the family here, Mando," Greef says with hardly disguised warmth. "That's why this is too big a job for you to do by yourself." He gestures to the parts of IG-11. "Fortunately, Nevarro has attracted the best droidsmiths of the Outer Rim." Greef stops and nods at the wall to their left. "They'll have IG back to his old self in no time."

Din shifts his weight. "Are you sure they're up for it?" He lifts a hand towards IG's parts. "I don't think I can handle him with all his limbs if things go scud."

Astra smiles; His censorship. It's something he's been working on around the kids, one of the smaller yet noticeable things Astra can observe about his sweet parenting. Meanwhile, Greef points at the wall again. "Why don't you ask 'em for yourself?"

Din's visor faces Greef. "Who?"

Greef extends a hand towards the ground. "The Anzellans."

Din and Astra both look down to see a nine-inch Anzellan waiting outside a small doorway. He looks up at Din and tilts his head. "What do ya' want?" the Anzellan asks in his high-pitched voice.

Grogu widens his eyes and coos in curiosity with a hand extended. Zora's still too caught up in Astra's tunic and her babbling of Baba, Mmm, Go! to properly observe the Anzellan. Din takes a step back and Astra has to hold back a laugh at his utter shock. "I, um... my droid." Din gestures to IG-11's parts. "I need help rewiring him."

The Anzellan glances back and speaks a few words in his own language. He faces Din again and nods. "Can fix." He points inside the small workspace. "Come. Come."