Chapter 65: The Unification

chapter 65: the unification •••

"And this," Din pauses what he's saying to Zora and toggles a switch, "gives extra power to the reverse thrusters, in case we need to get somewhere fast."

Zora gives her father an excited glance as Din flips the switch back to where it was before. He lets her reach forward and toggle it just as he had. "Zoooom!" she exclaims with a few excited claps.

"That's right," Din remarks with a smile in his tone and a fond tilt of his helmet. "Zoom! It makes us go faster."

Astra beams at the sight, her chin resting in her palm as her chair remains spun towards the two of them. Nevarro's atmosphere is starting to pass them by in the Gauntlet, but her view can't be deterred from this precious moment. Their arrival on Nevarro only intensifies her daydreams of this being an everyday reality in their home, one that's at long last so close in reach. Once they've helped to rescue the home of their people, their family will finally earn theirs.

Grogu coos at Astra from his place on Bo-Katan's lap as if he's checking up on her. Astra smiles and nods in his direction. He lifts his ears and faces the viewport once again. Astra chuckles to herself and shakes her head. She had to give it to Din; He taught Grogu well in being just as protective over her as he is.

The private moments their family share are all brought to a halt when Bo-Katan's voice brings them back to reality. "I hope these two groups get along," she sighs in worry. "They've never met, and what little they know of each other, they hate."

Din turns his helmet to face Bo-Katan. His words are delivered with his usual bluntness. "They will if they wanna survive."

"In other words," Astra attempts, "everything will be just fine." She nods at the group. "If we keep our heads cool, they will, too."

Bo-Katan gives Astra a quick glance over her shoulder. "I'm always grateful for your positive outlooks." She brings the Gauntlet to the ground within the tribe's encampment and steadies herself with a breath. "And this time, I really hope it's true."

Astra offers a smile, but she's torn from their conversation before she can respond. "Mama!" Zora's sweet voice calls for her. She turns her head and beams when she sees Zora holding Din's helmet between her hands. "Luh!" Zora gives the helmet a kiss with a dramatic muah! just as she had on Plazir-15. "Helm!"

"That's right, Zo!" Astra cheers her on. "We love his helmet."

Zora furrows her brow at Din. "Papa helm?" She gives his beskar cheek a gentle tap.

"Yeah, Zozo," Din responds in his softest voice. "I like it, too."

Zora smiles and claps her hands with a few excited breaths. "Helmmm! Muah!" She gives it another kiss.

Astra laughs to herself in an effort to release the strong warmth that lovingly constricts her chest. She stands in unison with Bo-Katan from her seat, taking Grogu from their ally and setting him back inside the pod. Grogu lifts his ears as he looks up at his mother. She smiles and gives one of them a brush. Astra doesn't dare trying to separate Zora from Din and instead lets them stay together as the group follows Bo-Katan out of the Gauntlet.

The scene is as tense as Bo had feared it would be. The tribe stands behind Paz Vizsla and watches as the Nite Owls and other Mandalorian affiliates walk towards them. Astra watches as Paz sets his hand on Ragnar's shoulder before the foundling starts to usher all the children back towards their camp. She shares a glance with Din, who tightens his grip on the babbling Zora. The closer the two groups get to one another, the more quiet she becomes.

Bo-Katan stops and the Djarins stay at her side. After a brief pause, the Mandalorians alongside and behind them make the move to remove their helmets. Bo-Katan is the last of them to do so, leaving Din to be the only Mandalorian on their side with his helmet still on. Astra brings herself just a bit closer to his side.