Chapter 62: The Droid Problem

chapter 62: the droid problem •••

Din stands from his chair in the Gauntlet's cockpit and walks over to Astra's. She looks up at him from where she's been feeding Zora her share of a ration pack. Her brow knits together as he lifts his gloved hand to her chin and tilts it up, inspecting the fading cuts on her face. Astra's brow relaxes and a smile overtakes her lips.

"I'm feeling much better," Astra assures him. She taps the right side of her cuirass. "Even here."

Din tilts his helmet at her. "Promise?"

Astra offers him a firm nod. "Promise." She takes his gloved hand from her chin and presses a kiss into his gloved palm. "Thank you for checking up on me."

Din keeps his hand pressed against her cheek and runs his thumb over it. He's about to respond when Bo-Katan speaks up from her place in the pilot's chair. "There they are."

Din and Astra both look over at Bo and the viewport. The planet they're flying through is lush, with green fields and ponds that spread into an endless horizon. There's a few scattered glass domes in the distance and amongst them rests the Mandalorian fleet they're looking for. Grogu coos with wonder at the console, where he stands alongside Bo's controls. Din steps away from Astra to return to his seat for landing. "That's quite a fleet," he comments.

"It took me a long time to assemble it," Bo responds. "Most of it was captured from the Empire."

"Rightfully so," Astra scoffs.

"I knew they looked familiar," Din says, his visor looking towards Bo. "Could come in real handy taking back Mandalore."

Bo's voice lowers. "Axe Woves is their leader now." She pauses and Din steals a look at Astra. She's returning his gaze with a cautious raise of her brow. "It's going to take some convincing to get them to join us."

Din returns his attention to his own console. "I wonder what they're here for."

"This planet isn't on the New Republic Registry," Bo explains. "So I'd guess it's an independent world that hired them for protection."

Din gives his helmet a quick tilt. "Can't imagine Woves will be happy to see you."

"Or any of us," Astra adds in a bitter murmur. Din turns his helmet to look at her, but she's since faced back towards her console.

"Yeah." Bo-Katan sighs and waits a beat before continuing. "I'll land outside the fleet's perimeter. It's probably best if we go in on foot."

Din jumps in his seat when a fanfare tune suddenly plays over the intercom, his helmet snapping towards Bo's console as a voice starts to speak to them. "Welcome to Plazir-15, the Outer Rim's only remaining direct democracy."

Bo looks back at Din and Astra and his visor meets her bewildered gaze for a quick moment. When he catches Astra's expression, he's surprised to see a hint of recognition in the way she furrows her brow and continues to listen.

"You've been assigned a docking slip," the voice continues. "You will be guided on the assigned path." Din raises an eyebrow at that. "Engaging automated guidance."

Everyone's jolted as the Gauntlet's torn away from its current flight path and instead heads towards the large glass dome. Din watches Bo mess with the controls on her console. "What happened?"

Bo sits back in shock. "They've taken control of the ship." She turns her head to look at Grogu. "I guess we're going for a ride."

Grogu coos and tilts his head at her. Din turns his attention to Astra, who's since taken a concerned Zora into her arms. "This planet's name is familiar," Astra shares. "I'm not sure what diplomatic relations we might've had with them, but..." she nods at both Bo and Din, "maybe I can use it to our advantage."