Chapter 54: The Homeworld

chapter 54: the homeworld •••

Tatooine's landscape is familiar to Din in a way that isn't quite like home, but falls somewhere near it. The streets are heavily populated with people and speeders as the starfighter makes its descent into Peli's hangar. Din exhales as he realizes what day it is: Boonta Eve, a holiday he never celebrated but often witnessed throughout his life spent in the Outer Rim.

Din glances back and smiles to himself at the sight of Astra sleeping with Grogu tucked under her chin. He's relieved, as the emotional weight of their brief stop on Kalevala no doubt weighed heavily upon his wife. She needs all the rest she can get and Din's trying his best to do the same. It's hard not to admire his family in such a peaceful state, and this time, he spent most of it with his daughter who now sleeps in the space between his bandolier and his cuirass.

"Cyar'ika," Din's gentle with his call, regretful to wake her, "we're here."

Astra stirs with a deep breath that Din can hear over the intercom. "It's like we never left," she says.

Din chuckles at her words. They had definitely overstayed their welcome, but Boba Fett had been generous in letting their family stay as long as they needed to. That opportunity for his family to rest had made every injury Din sustained during the fight worth it.

As soon as the N-1 touches down in Peli's hangar, Din can hear her voice shouting to him. "Whoo-hoo!" she whoops. "You hear that? She's purring like a nuzzle shrew."

Din slides his and Astra's canopies open. "No complaints. Still faster than I know what to do with."

"For better or for worse," Astra adds, amused.

"Well, I'll tune her up, just the same," Peli assures them. She sets her hands on her belt and looks between them. "So, uh, where's my guy? Huh?"

Astra lifts Grogu high enough for Peli to see him. He coos with joy as Peli does the same.

"There he is!" Peli lets out a surprised exclamation as Grogu leaps from Astra's arms in a grand front flip. Din tries to suppress a laugh and somewhat succeeds, an action that starts to rouse Zora upon his armored chest. "Now who taught you how to leap like a Lurmen, huh?"

"It wasn't us," Astra jokes as she starts to stand. "Trust me."

"Well, what about my other pal?" Peli gestures to Din as he rises with a gloved hand holding tight to Zora. She gasps with sweet delight. "Oh, my stars! She's gotten so big!" Peli waves while Din offers a hand to Astra and helps her down. "Hi there, Zora!"

Zora smiles at Peli and then looks at Din. He's just gotten to the ground when Zora taps his helmet and points. "Baba!" She takes a firm grip on the lip of his helmet and tries to pull it up. Din lifts a hand to push it back down and removes her grip in a gentle motion. He holds onto her tiny hand while Peli chuckles.

"You're trying to show me your dad, aren't you?" Peli asks Zora in a baby voice. Astra laughs as she sets a hand on Din's pauldron and keeps it there. Din takes a quick moment to admire her and the bright shine he sees in her gaze.

"As much as I'd like to keep this reunion going," Din speaks up, "we're here on business."

"Oh, are the Hutts back?" Peli questions. "Are you takin' out Boba Fett?"

Din tilts his helmet at her. "We need a droid part."

Peli rolls her eyes and scoffs. "Ugh. Boring!" She turns to shout at her droids. "Hey, get the Jawas back in here before they hit the cantina!" The pit droids set off and Peli faces Din and Astra again. "You know how Mos Eisley gets during Boonta week." She lifts a hand to mock drinking and Din nods in understanding.