Chapter 39: The Sacrifice

chapter 39: the sacrifice •••

The journey to the Karthon Chop Fields begins in silence, with Din cleaning his blaster to make it as efficient as possible while Fennec and Cara attempt to mind their own business. Din can practically sense the curiosity radiating off his friend; he still hasn't told her about his relations to Mayfeld. He knows he'll have to disclose the information to her eventually—and he also knows that she'll be even more reluctant to spring him once she knows what he did to both Din and you.

"We went on a job with him back before our first mission on Nevarro," Din begins, finally breaking the silence and satisfying Cara's curiosity. He doesn't look away from his blaster as he speaks. "Astra and I." Din clenches his jaw, his next thought giving him such a strong sensation of anger that he nearly considers telling Boba to turn the ship around. "That's how she got her scar."

Din can hear Cara shift in her seat as she rests her elbows against her knees. "He cut her face?"

"No." Din finally looks up, meeting Cara's stern gaze as he answers. "Someone else in the crew did that." He has to force himself to stop gritting his teeth as he continues. "He was just an accessory. Kept her pinned down." Din's gloved hands tighten around his cloth and blaster as he forces his helmet to look to the side for a moment. "He made plans to turn her in for credits."

"So, what I'm hearing is that this guy isn't trustworthy at all?" Cara nearly scoffs the words, earning Din's attention again as he clearly reads her disbelief. Her brow lifts as she shakes her head and looks away. "Why are we springing him, then?"

"All we need is someone with Imperial clearances," Din explains. "He's the only ex-Imp I know who isn't passionate about their history."

"And you're sure you'll be able to keep your cool around him?"

Din sighs, holstering his blaster as he nods at Cara. "Whatever it takes to get those coordinates."

Cara nods, sitting back in her seat as Slave I starts to make its descent. "Whatever it takes." She releases a breath when the ship stalls, rising from her seat as she looks at Din. "I'll go get him. You said his name's Migs Mayfeld, right?"

"Yeah." Din's hands tighten into fists and then loosen as he controls his emotions. "We'll be here."

Cara nods, waiting for Boba to open the hatch before she makes her way towards the fields. Din sighs to himself again, standing as he begins to pace the hull. He knows he'll be able to keep himself under control after having his own emotional release on Nevarro, but he's not sure he can say the same for Mayfeld. The man has proven himself to be nothing but untrustworthy to Din, and now, he's about to trust him with the fate of his entire clan, his family. Din's not opposed to giving people second chances, but he can only hope that his decision to do so isn't being made out of naivety.

"This guy sounds like a piece of work." Fennec's voice takes Din by surprise as he stops his pacing, looking over to see the mercenary smirking a bit as she cleans off her rifle. "I'm sure he'll be lots of fun to have aboard."

Din scoffs with slight amusement, continuing to pace again as he takes his vibroblade from his boot and flips it in his hand to keep himself busy. "As long as he keeps his mouth shut, everything will be fine."

"Difficult people are not my specialty," Boba's voice can now be heard. Din looks from his blade to Boba as he makes his way out of the cockpit, putting his newly-painted armor on as he continues. "I much prefer to silence them." Boba slides his helmet on, taking his blaster in his hands as he looks out the hatch. "Permanently."

"I wouldn't be opposed to doing the same," Din agrees, flipping his vibroblade in his hand once again as he follows Boba's gaze, "but I need his clearances, or else we'll never get those coordinates."