Chapter 58: The Armor

chapter 58: the armor •••

Life with the covert is exactly what Astra would've expected from the greatest warriors in the galaxy. Their days are spent training on the shore, with constant sparring matches and other types of training drills. At night, everyone goes their separate ways for a meal, using the time to prepare for the next day's activities. Din's told Astra that this isn't much different from the life they used to have in the tunnels of Nevarro, though now, they're even more focused on survival.

Astra muses on this as she sits beside Grogu and Zora on the sandy shore. They've both taken a fascination with a cluster of rocks. Astra smiles at their innocent curiosity and turns her head to see Din still standing many strides away with his focus on the foundlings' training.

It hasn't been long at all since they returned to the covert. Astra can still feel the lovely ache of their first night, one that lingers as much as the fading lines of art she drew upon her husband's back and the mark his sweet lips left upon her neck. It's the first time in a long time that she's felt at peace with her entire family together and no other quests or shadows looming over them.

Then, Astra sees the hilt of the Darksaber on Din's belt catch the light. She grimaces and turns back to Zora and Grogu.

Astra wants so badly to believe that this is the home where they'll stay indefinitely, but she can't convince herself of it. The covert isn't meant to live like this, and with the legendary sword Din possesses, he might just have the power to change things. But that's not the role Din wants; If anything, it's exactly what their newest ally had once wanted. All Astra knows is that Din will do whatever it takes to make a better life for his family and his people.

And that means yet another quest could be right around the corner.

Astra's pulled from her thoughts by the sound of Din's boots on the sand as he approaches them. She turns and watches him kneel between Astra and their children. Din tends to her first, one of his gloved hands taking a hold of her chin and easing her forehead to meet his helmet.

"Something on your mind?" Din asks, his modulated voice soft. She doesn't need to see his gaze to know it's searching her own.

Astra offers him a smile. "Not much," she insists. "We'll talk about it later."

Din nods, brushing his thumb over her lip before he turns to their children. "What are you two up to?"

Zora takes a few excited breaths and points to a rock—a moving rock. "Papa, luh!"

"I see it, Zozo!" Din assures her with excitement of his own that he displays just for her. "Did you find a little sea creature?"

"Gogu!" Zora says as she points at her brother.

"You found it, Grogu?" Din asks their son. Grogu coos in the affirmative. Astra chuckles to herself as Din pats his head. "Very good." Din pauses and gestures to one of the little creatures in Grogu's hand. "You've got to leave them alone now, buddy. It's time you learn with the other foundlings."

Astra wrinkles her brow at Din's words. Before she can say anything, Din's already picking up Grogu and standing back to his full height.

"Playtime's over," Din announces. He nods at Grogu. "I'm gonna need you to focus."

Astra reaches for their confused daughter and picks her up as she also stands to her feet. "Are you sure he's ready for that?" Astra asks Din in a low voice.

Din looks at Astra as he starts to lead them towards the training. "You've seen what he can do," Din reminds her. "He's ready." Din glances down at Grogu. "His size doesn't matter. He can persevere."