Chapter 64: The Darksaber

chapter 64: the darksaber •••

It's only when the hyperloop pod steers them away from Plazir's domed city that Din can fully relax again, his armored shoulders rising and falling in a breath of relief. He's aware of Astra moving closer to his side, something that only adds to his new sense of calm. His daughter babbles to Astra all about her and Grogu's adventures while they were gone in another layer of sweet content.

But Din can't ignore the way their ally sits across from them with her gaze stuck on the outside world. Bo-Katan's eyes are glazed over with an anxiety Din's familiar with, the announcement of their approach to landing field three bringing not a single change to her expression. It brings Din back to the day he first returned to his covert as an apostate, the turning of helmets and tightening of weapons. He can't help himself from trying to bring her some amount of the same relief he's just gained.

"They're Mandalorians," Din says. The only gaze he earns when he speaks is Astra's, which burns through the side of his helmet as he goes on. "You're their leader." He adds a nod of reassurance. "They're going to follow you."

Bo-Katan's gaze falls before it returns to the transparisteel. "I'm not their leader anymore," she insists. She peels her gaze from the view of Plazir to look between Din and Astra. "Axe Woves is."

Din shares a quick glance with Astra and tilts his helmet. "Then what's your play?"

Grogu coos from the pod at Astra's side, as if he's asking her the very same thing. Bo focuses on the little one with her brow furrowed in evident distress. She waits a long moment before she answers. "I'll know when I get there."

Din sees Astra nod at Bo-Katan out of the corner of his eye. "We'll be right there with you," she reminds their ally. "You don't have to do this alone."

Bo-Katan looks between both of them with a small smile of gratitude. She returns Astra's nod. "Thank you."

The tension of the serious moment is broken by Zora as she points towards the transparisteel. "Luh'!" Zora exclaims, tapping both Din's and Astra's pauldrons to make sure they're paying attention. She points outside again. "Boo!"

"Do you like the blue sky, Zo?" Astra says, her voice soft as she speaks to their daughter.

Zora's little finger lowers towards the green grass and she furrows her brow as she looks at Din. "Bah?"

"That's grass," Din tells her. He keeps his voice low and gentle as he also points to the long stretch of green grass. "There was a lot of it on Sorgan, where you were born." Din's visor glances at Astra, who's beaming at him in the way he adores most. His mind rewinds him to that difficult yet calming time on the agrarian planet. "The grass there was very soft."

"Gr..." Zora tries to say. "Guh..." She looks over at Grogu in the pod. "Gogu!"

Grogu coos with delight when his sister says his name. "Yes!" Astra says and gives Zora's head a kiss. "Grogu is the same color as the grass! Green."

Zora furrows her brow in focus. "Gr... gruh..."

She babbles on and on until the hyperloop pod comes to a stop. Din watches as Astra sets Zora into the pod with her brother for safekeeping before he offers his hand to her to help her stand. The group makes their way out and down to the landing zone, a long stretch of green grass sitting between them and the area that houses the entire Mandalorian encampment.

Din's so focused on the sight far ahead that he almost misses Astra calling for him. "Din," her voice remains hushed. Din's helmet turns her way, his visor meeting her gaze before she flickers hers to the metal hilt that hangs from his belt. "He's gonna want that."