Chapter 40: The Threat

chapter 40: the threat •••

You're awakened by the sound of your cell door opening. Quickly, you sit up, ignoring the ache in your body from all the stormtroopers you've killed over the past countless amounts of hours. Gideon's continuously sent them in between his own moments of interrogation, allowing them to do what the others had attempted to before. They never get far before you take them out, but the process is getting exhausting—mentally and physically.

You try your best not to gnaw at your blood-encrusted lip as two dark troopers approach you, taking you by arms and forcing you to stand from the bench in your cell. Thanks to the quick change in positioning, your head spins a bit, and it takes you a few steps to be steady as they start to take you out of your cell for the first time since you boarded.

"Where are you taking me?" you demand, wishing your voice didn't sound so hoarse as you narrow your eyes at the droids. When you receive no answer, you start to wrestle in their grasps. "Where are you taking me?"

"The bridge," the female officer you've come to know finally tells you. You stop fighting to look at her as she approaches, her hands tucked behind her back as she falls in step beside the droids. "There's a message that the Moff would like you to see."

Your heart drops into your stomach as you tighten your jaw, nodding as you look straight ahead again. You know there's no use in fighting the droids off, now—and you're terribly curious to see what kind of message Gideon would want you to view. Something in your heart hopes that it's the person you've been waiting to see, but your mind tells you otherwise.

When you get to the bridge, Gideon's already awaiting you there. His gaze instantly pierces through your own, and though it's as sinister as ever, there's also a hint of something you've had yet to see from him: fear.

"Ah, princess, you've finally joined us," Gideon greets, smiling in his signature manner as he uses his hand to command the troopers to stop you where you are. You grimace at Gideon, refusing as always to give him the satisfaction he craves as he lifts his chin at you. "There's something I'd like you to see."

You raise an eyebrow, but before you can question him, Gideon pulls up a hologram. Your knees nearly give out at the sight of your husband, his blue holographic image staring at you as your eyes widen and your mouth falls open.

"Moff Gideon," Din says. His voice threatens to make you weep as you tighten your jaw. "You have something I want. You may think you have some idea who you are in possession of, but you do not. Soon, they will be back with me. They mean more to me than you could ever know."

Din's words—especially his last few—are delivered in a manner that's so menacing yet so full of meaning that even you are fearful of his intentions. Still, you can't help smiling in a sly manner, looking back at Gideon with a raise of your brow.

"So, now you're preparing to reap the consequences of our capture?" you question, not bothering to keep the edge out of your tone. "You won't be able to. Nothing can prepare you for whatever he's going to do."

"The consequences?" Gideon laughs, giving his head a shake as he seemingly brushes your words off. "He's already failed. We've gotten the sample of blood we needed from the child."

You narrow your eyes at him, frustration filling you. "Then why are you keeping us here?"

Gideon lifts his chin, smirking as he takes a few steps closer to you. "You're an ex-Republic princess, are you not? Did your parents not side with the Rebellion, leading to their ultimate demise?"

Your eyes almost instantly tear up at the sound of the two names you haven't heard in much too long. You nearly see red as you instinctively lunge towards Gideon, though you don't get far thanks to the dark troopers' grips on your arms. "Do not speak of them," you snarl. "You don't even deserve to think of them."