Miracle (Interlude)

miracle (interlude) •••

It's a day that starts as normal as any other.

Din helps you in the morning as a part of your usual routine, making sure you're dressed, fed, and comfortable. You request to bathe in the stream pool, something Din obliges with. He takes everything you'll need with him in a knapsack and holds your hand the entire way, making conversation to keep you entertained. You don't respond as much as usual, but Din accredits it to your exhaustion. He knows Zora keeps you from getting good sleep these days.

Once Din gets you prepared to bathe, he helps you into the stream pool, his brow wrinkling in concern when you close your eyes and release a tight breath. "Everything okay, rid'ika?" Din asks, sliding in beside you and holding both your hands in his.

"Yeah, yeah," you assure him not once but twice, even smiling as you give his hands a squeeze. "The water's just colder than I was expecting."

Din tries not to frown at the fact the water's even warmer than usual. He's learned that your hormones can fluctuate greatly during this time, so he doesn't make you feel bad about it. Instead, he nods and reaches for the soaps he'd brought along. "Then we'll make this quick, cyar'ika."

You seem satisfied enough by Din's answer. He stays true to his word, bathing you with haste while also trying to keep you relaxed. You're still much quieter than usual, to the point where Din finds himself wanting to ask you about that, too.

"You're quiet today." Din's voice is soft and void of accusation as he uses his hands to give your face a gentle wash. "Is there something on your mind?"

You beam at him, your face glowing even more than usual—and Din doesn't think it's from the water he's washed you with. "Just you and Zora, my love." He looks down and sees your hands caressing your bump beneath the water, a sight that makes him smile. "And Grogu, of course." Din hums in agreement as he sets the last soap onto the bank. "I miss him."

"Me too. More than I can comprehend, sometimes." Din offers his hand to you, helping you over to the bank. "But I know we'll see him again soon."

You nod, your face scrunched up as Din helps you onto the bank. He raises an eyebrow at you as he hoists himself up, toweling you off and studying your features. The knit in your brow loosens after a long moment, filling him with relief as Din concludes it was the struggle up the bank that had you feeling uncomfortable. He helps you back into your clothes and sets the knapsack over his shoulder, taking your hand and guiding you back to the village. It's a rather far walk, though Din's grateful for the time you get to spend together. He treasures every moment.

Your arm's wrapped around his and soon Din feels your head rest upon it as well. He looks over at you, seeing the love in your eyes as you return his gaze. It makes his heart flutter as if it's the very first time he's seeing you. Din presses a kiss upon your head as you keep walking together.

"Din, riduur?" Your voice is as sweet and soft as ever as you call for him.

"Yes, rid'ika?" He looks at you again to see your eyes closed and your expression relaxed as you go to speak again.

"It's time." You start to squeeze his hand—though you hold it tighter than usual.

Din almost freezes in place as his heart starts to race. "You mean...?"

"I'm in labor." You say the words in a tone that's very casual. Too casual.

Din stops and turns to face you, holding your face between his hands as he searches your gaze. "You... Are you sure? How long has it been? Are you in pain?"