Chapter 18: The Plan

chapter 18: the plan •••

As the town comes closer and closer into reach, Din feels his heart accelerate uncontrollably. It's never felt so conflicted before—half feeling so full of warmth at your shared confessions of love and half feeling completely torn at the idea of not making it back to you—and now it's working over time to remain calm in this high stakes situations. Din has no idea what the hell he could be walking into, but he feels more assured with Cara by his side—and Karga, he supposes. He tries not to be put off by the fact his hands are cuffed and his blaster's not in his holster, even if the latter remains in the hands of a trusting person. At least, I think he's trustworthy, now. He doesn't have a choice.

As they approach, Din sees the true state of Nevarro. Stormtroopers—or, whatever they call themselves now—are stationed right at the entrance, and its inhabitants look uneasy as they stroll around. Din looks over at Cara, sharing a glance of concern as they're forced to stop in front of the scout troopers. He stands up from where he's been leaning on his speederbike reluctantly, offering a meager, "Chain code?" to Karga.

"I have a gift for the boss," Karga explains, gesturing over to Din. He holds back his sigh and swallows down his uneasiness. He's never had to be the bounty before.

The scout trooper only stands taller. "Chain code?" he repeats, his voice dryer than before.

Karga exhales deeply, digging inside his pocket to show the trooper his card. He takes it and scans it, pausing for a moment to look up at Karga and then back down again. "I'll give you twenty credits for the helmet," he says.

"Not a chance," Karga insists with a chuckle, pointing at Din's helmet as he speaks. "That's going on my wall."

Din can't help himself now, looking over at Karga with an annoyed tilt to his helmet. "On your wall?" he mutters in an unimpressed voice that can't be heard by the trooper.

"Go with it," Karga breathes back, looking around to play off his words.

The trooper soon hands Karga his card back. "Go ahead," he instructs, and Karga takes the card with a nod before leading Din and Cara inside the town. They're horrified to see that there's troopers practically lining the walls—much more than the four Karga had mentioned before. Din feels a small pit in his stomach but tries to hide it as he remains silent. Cara, on the other hand, can't help voicing her thoughts.

"You said four," Cara growls at Karga, looking over at him with an accusatory glare. "There are more than four troopers."

"Four guarding the client," Karga explains. "Many more here in town."

Well isn't that kriffing obvious, Din thinks to himself, wishing he could say it aloud but knowing it's too much of a risk.

"Things got really heated once Mando crashed the safehouse," Karga continues, looking at his feet as if to avoid the glares behind the helmets of those around them.

Cara pushes the argument away for the moment, instead focusing on her concern as she furrows her brow. "Slip him his blaster," she tells Karga in a hushed yet firm voice.

"Not yet," Karga insists, causing Cara to narrow her eyes and grimace. She says nothing else for the moment, though Din can sense that she wants to say a lot more. His gaze falls to the empty pram beside him, and he looks at it with a weight in his chest, thinking of the child, Kuiil, and you. He can only hope that you're all well on your way back to the Crest, soon to be completely out of harm's way. As long as he has that certainty, he'll be able to face whatever the hell's waiting for him in town.

Karga continues to lead the group around until he stops in front of an all-too familiar establishment. "Here we are," he announces, and Din knows it as the cantina where he and Karga often did business—the place where Din had first laid eyes on you. It's a much more bittersweet moment now than he thought it'd be, and Din fights to keep himself from audibly wincing at the ache it brings his chest. Instead, he watches as Karga opens the door and takes him by the arm, forcing Din inside ahead of him. He stumbles a few steps and stops to take a quick look around. "You see? Four," Karga murmurs to Din and Cara, giving a small nod before he continues to lead them over to where the client awaits.