Chapter 41: The Duel

chapter 41: the duel •••

Din freezes as soon as he steps across the threshold of the cell, looking through his visor at Grogu. When Grogu's little head lifts higher and he spots Din, he coos in a worried manner, as if he's fearful that a louder sound would cause Gideon to harm him. The thought of it alone makes Din want to drop Gideon where he stands.

Din's boldness only grows as he draws his blaster, taking a few steps closer to Gideon and Grogu. His modulated voice is low and threatening as he speaks. "Where is she?"

"Drop the blaster," Gideon remarks, only lowering the Darksaber closer to Grogu's little head. Din's stomach ties into a knot. "Slowly."

Unable to bear the thought of Grogu getting hurt because of him, Din places his blaster on the floor, leaving his hands lifted in temporary surrender.

"Now kick it over to me," Gideon demands. Din does what he says with vigor, letting his hands fall back to his sides as he narrows his eyes. "Very nice."

"Give me the kid," Din commands, his tone leaving no room for negotiation, "and tell me where you've hidden her."

"The kid is just fine where he is," Gideon insists. "So is she."

Din's about to respond in a much harsher manner when Gideon suddenly swings the Darksaber over Grogu's head, causing his eyes to close as the brightness of the blade blinds him—and in fear of what Gideon might do. Din clenches his jaw as Gideon speaks.

"Mesmerizing, isn't it? Used to belong to Bo-Katan." Din's helmet starts to straighten out at the name of his ally. "Yes," Gideon laughs, "I know you've been traveling with Bo-Katan. A friendly piece of advice: assume that I know everything." The statement alone causes a shiver to go down Din's spine. "Like the fact that your wrist launcher has fired its one and only salvo."

Din's eyes start to widen behind his helmet. Somehow, Gideon must've seen his fight with the dark trooper—which means that he was most likely the one who told the droid to play the sound of your voice. Thus, Gideon must know exactly where you are, and for some reason he's intentionally keeping you hidden. "Where is this going?" Din remarks, half with annoyance and half with dread.

"This is where it's going. I'm guessing that Bo-Katan and her boarding party have arrived at the bridge seeking me or, more accurately, this." Gideon lifts the darksaber for emphasis. "But I'm not there. And I imagine that they've killed everyone on the bridge, being the murderous savages that they are—," Din nearly lashes out just at the hypocrisy of Gideon's words, "—and now, they're beginning to panic."

Grogu starts to coo with distress. Din's heart sinks into his stomach at the sound of it. He can only hope that the little one didn't suffer too much under Gideon's watch—though his mind's still too worried about you and your absence.

"You see, she wants this." Again, Gideon gestures to the Darksaber. "Do you know why?"

"All I want to know is where my—," Din starts to say.

"Because it brings power," Gideon goes on, as if Din hadn't spoken at all. He pauses, as if he's assessing Din for a reaction. Din simply stands there, tightening his fists in his effort not to try to do something he might regret. "Whoever wields this sword... has the right to lay claim to the Mandalorian throne."

"You keep it," Din mutters, unable to take Gideon's monologue as he focuses on the one thing he's always wanted. "I just want my family—starting with the kid."

Grogu coos at that, looking up at Gideon as if he's also waiting for an answer. Gideon looks between Grogu and Din a few times before he nods. "Very well." He sheathes the Darksaber, offering a nonchalant shrug as he does so. "I've already got what I want from him." Din's blood turns to ice at his words. Damn it. "His blood. All I wanted was to study his blood. This child is extremely gifted and has been blessed with rare properties that have the potential to bring order back to the galaxy."