Chapter 59: The Lesson

chapter 59: the lesson •••

When Din wakes the next morning, he's alarmed to find that he's alone. He sits up in a panic, his chest tightened just as the cyborg's trap once had been around him. It's only when he allows himself to further take in his surroundings that he hears the jovial voices of his family floating in from the living area.

Din exhales a deep breath of both relief and affection as his tightened jaw relaxes and his lips start to curl up in a smile. They're not in danger anymore. They're safe here, making this temporary space a home of their own.

Din steps out of the bed and makes it neat, though he doesn't bother doing the same with himself in his eagerness to greet his family. He walks past his pile of beskar and only stops when he sees the other pile that's sitting alongside it. His chest warms with a reverent flame so ardent he's certain it could consume him whole, but for the sake of his unsuspecting family, he keeps it buried within him and continues out of their bedroom.

The sight he's met with only makes that flame burn brighter in the most beautiful of ways. Astra sits with both Grogu and Zora as they eat their breakfast, the children receiving assistance from their mother as they babble to her and each other. With each sound they make, Astra nods in understanding, her sweet responses always coming with the ghost of a breathless smile painted on her lips.

Din makes his approach as if he's in a haze, each step a subconscious movement. He's more than aware of his family's effect on him and how dangerous it could be, but he can't get enough of it. Din only stops when he's just behind Astra to wrap his arms around her, his chin resting upon her head as he draws her in close. Astra's smile is audible in her voice while her hands cover his own.

"Good morning, my love" Astra greets. She kisses his hands and Din has to take a deep breath to keep his heart from bursting. "Sorry I didn't wake you. It's rare that you sleep longer than I do and I figured you needed the rest."

"It's all right." Din can't stop smiling even as he presses a kiss to her head. "I just hope you three haven't been having too much fun without me."

Astra laughs, though any chance of her responding is thwarted by Zora's excited squeal and wave. "Guh muh, Papa!"

Din stays with Astra as he lifts a hand to wave back at her. "Morning, baby girl," he responds with all the warmth within him. Grogu also babbles and waves at his father. "You too, buddy." Astra's head leans against one of his arms as he goes on. "What have you been up to so far?"

"They're having a warrior's breakfast," Astra answers for them. Din chuckles at her wording.

"And you as well?" Din observes the nearly completed meal on her own plate.

"Of course." Astra lifts her head to look up at him. "I have to prepare for our first training session today." She raises an eyebrow at him. "I don't expect you to go easy on me."

Din returns her look. "I could say the very same thing about you." He gives her their first kiss of the day, one that he'd draw out longer if their children weren't present. For their sake, he parts from her and takes his place at the table alongside her. A share of his own awaits him and Din digs in to match the pace of his family.

"The caretakers offered to watch Zora and Grogu again," Astra informs Din while he eats. "Apparently they were very well-behaved for the storytelling session."

Din nods with approval at them. "Very good."

Zora looks at Din with her brown eyes widened, a pout starting to form on her lips. "Papa," she whines, her arms held out towards him.

"Zora," Astra warns, "what did we talk about?" She gives her daughter a firm nod. "Ask, don't whine."

Zora glances between her mother and father and tucks her lip back in. "Papa?" She focuses on Din and signs please in Tusken.