Chapter 69: Liberation

chapter 69: liberation •••

Din lets out a strangled cry even he doesn't recognize. He charges forward with both blasters firing as Astra collapses to the floor. Din focuses his fire on all three of the guards, but most notably the one that's hovering over Grogu. He has to somehow make up for the damage he's already allowed.

Din gets two of the guards on the ground, but before he can turn to the third, they catch his wrist with an electro-whip and make one blaster fly from his hand. He pulls on it in return and fires with his other blaster, though it doesn't make the guard release his grip. A second one strikes at Din and he manages to catch the blow on his vambrace.

The third comes striking at Din's front, but they're pulled away by an invisible force. Din turns his head and sees Grogu standing at Astra's side, his hand extended as he reinforces Din with his powers. He would praise his son if the circumstances were any different, but his mind is overshadowed by the horror of what he witnessed just moments ago.

Din tugs on the electro-whip to free himself. He goes back-and-forth with the guards, with Grogu still helping to throw some of them around. Din's hit hard enough to get knocked off his feet at one point, landing next to Grogu as he tries to shield them from an incoming electro-blade. Grogu stops it with the Force, allowing Din the time to kick the guard away and recover.

With his blaster back in his hand, Din finishes one off and focuses his attack on another. After a brief defense, Din's able to get a blade through the guard, allowing him to spin and focus on the last one. All it takes is two shots for Din to kill the third.

Din drops to his knees and makes his way over to Astra's side. She's breathing hard enough to make her entire armored chest heave, her gloved hands pressing against the bleeding wound as her gaze finds Din's visor. He tears off his helmet and tosses it aside, taking Astra's upper half into his arms as gently as he can. Astra groans at the movement.

"Grogu," Din begins, glancing at his son with a desperation he hopes he can hide from his wife. Grogu coos and nods before Din can finish, already making his way towards Astra's wound as his little hands try to pry hers away.

"Din," Astra calls for him, another small gasp falling from her lips once Grogu gets one of her hands pushed aside.

"Hey, cyar'ika." Din keeps his voice calm and soft as he brushes a hand over her head. "You did very well. Those guys were tough to beat."

Astra gives him a worried once-over. "Are you okay?"

Din can't help chuckling in disbelief at her. Here she is, inches from death, and still worrying more about him than herself. "Yeah, Astra. I'm just fine." He continues to run his thumb over her head. "So are you."

Astra's lips tremble. She shakes her head at Din as her chest starts to heave more. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Din raises his brow and shakes his head back at her. "You've done nothing wrong, rid'ika."

"I'm scaring you."

"No, you're not. We're all right." He takes the hand Grogu had pushed aside and holds it within his own. "All you have to do is keep your eyes on me. Okay?"

Astra's eyelids start to flutter before she can stop them. Din tightens his grasp on her head and lifts her hand to press her palm against his cheek.

"Astra. Eyes on me, ner kar'ta." Astra fights to obey him, her eyes staying open as her gaze meets his. "There you are. Very good." Din nods at her. "Grogu's fixing you up right now. Just keep fighting a little bit longer."

Astra's eyes water as her chest heaves with a large, struggling breath. "Where's Zora?"

"Zora's safe. Bo-Katan just assured me of that." Din smiles at her. "You were right. The safest place for her was with the fleet."