twenty-three; resistance

A U R O R A

"I saw this coming from the start. The shake, rattle, and roll. One for the road, so we all go back to yours, and you sit and talk to me on the floor. There's no need to show me around, baby, I feel like I've been here before."

. . .

Deciding to confront Riccardo today, I decided to wear something daring. I dress up for the weather and am relieved that I don't run into anyone as I exit the house.

Jack is waiting outside the gate for me, sending me a lopsided smile when he sees me

Jack is waiting outside the gate for me, sending me a lopsided smile when he sees me. "You look good today, Princess," he chuckles and opens his arms for me.

I hug him with a smile and thank him. "Thank you. Don't I look silly?" I ask. He shakes his head and opens his car door for me.

I take a seat and so does he, starting the engine. "No, you don't. I won't hesitate to tell you once you do since it'll be the first time," he cheekily smiles.

"You're a dork, Thomson," I smile. "Right back at you, Amoretto."

The drive isn't long, and Jack parks his car somewhere before we both get out. "You're picking me back up, right?" I ask as we walk towards the entrance of the building.

"I'd be a terrible Prince Charming if I didn't," he answers. I roll my eyes. "Don't flatter yourself," I retort and shake my head.

"Where are you headed to?" I ask. "I know a friend who lives nearby, and..."

His words don't register as I see Riccardo nearing the entrance of the building as well, his eyes already focused on me.

He doesn't carry his usual, friendliness. He seems more pissed off now... he carries more authority and dominance.

And I find myself being attracted to it.

"Okay, well, I'll see you when you pick me up," I say and focus my attention back on Jack. He nods and rakes a hand through his blonde hair.

After briefly hugging him, I turn back around and see Riccardo waiting at the entrance for me. My heart skips a beat as I walk over to him and see his eyes trailing over my outfit.

"Thank you," I say as I walk through the door. He closes the door behind him and follows me, standing next to me as I press the button for the elevator.

The elevator arrives and we both get in. The silence is loud and overwhelming, but I refuse to be the first one to break it.

He was the one who ran away last time, like a coward. He doesn't want to face his feelings, and that's his problem.

I could help him with that, but he refuses. He gets mad when I tell him the truth. Just thinking about it makes my blood boil.

I don't even notice it when we arrive at his floor and walk out. He greets his secretary, his voice warm and gentle. I frown, not liking that.