forty-eight; strength

A U R O R A

"Steering clear of any headaches to start, and if we're being honest; I'd rather your body than half of your heart or jealous-ridden comments."

. . .

I enter the hotel and walk up to the receptionist. The woman looks up when I arrive.

"Good evening, how may I help you?" she asks, her tone polite.

"Good evening, I'm here to see Riccardo Silvestro. I'm Aurora Amoretto," I say, fidgeting with my hands. She nods. "He already called to inform me you can pass through," she smiles. I return the smile.

"Thank you, enjoy your weekend," I smile and turn around, heading for the elevators and pressing the button.

The nerves are eating me alive, but I remind myself to just stay strong. The doors open and I get inside, pressing the button and leaning against the wall, trying to calm my racing heart.

On the way up, I get a message from Laure and see it's a video. Kimberly is giggling while holding a glass in her hands.

"Be strong, bitch," she shouts and lifts her hand to say 'cheers'. I chuckle and type back a message to Laure.

Aurora; Make sure she gets home safely, please

I then add;

Aurora; Both of you. Please don't be too drunk already

The ping of the elevator makes me look up, and I step out of the elevator, walking down the hallway.

Upon nearing Riccardo's room, I see the door is already opened a bit. With a frown, I push it open and step inside, closing it behind me.

"Riccardo? I'm here," I yell, gathering myself and walking into the hotel room. My heart skips a beat when I see his figure sitting on the couch, staring out of the window.

"Aurora?" he asks, as if not believing I'm here. He turns his head a bit, and our eyes meet.

I swallow and clasp my hands together, not liking the fact that my heart is acting up. I haven't seen him in what feels like forever, and I haven't talked to him after what happened to me.

He has no clue.

"Yes," I answer and walk further into the room. He pats the spot next to him on the couch and sighs.

"Come here," I hear him murmur. I walk over to the spot and put my purse down, taking a seat. He eyes my clothes.

"You been out?" he asks, licking his lips. I nod. "Yeah, wanted to have some fun," I shrug. He hums and nods.

"Figured I heard the distant sound of music," he says, referring to our brief phone call.

"Yeah..." I trail off, "why have you been drinking?"

He shrugs. "Felt like it," he grumbles and furrows his eyebrows. I look around the room, for any sign if Carla might be here.

I don't want her to walk in and see me, and possibly risk another slap across the face.

The words Riccardo has said to me the last time we saw each other, return.

Does he still not believe me? Does Carla have him wrapped around her finger?

"Why am I here?" I then ask. He lets out another sigh. "Because I needed to hear your voice, and wanted to see you."

My heart warms at his words, and I reprimand myself for it.

He turns to look at me and shuffles a bit closer. His eyes are so pained. He lifts his hand to place it on my cheek.

"Are you okay baby?" he asks, his eyes soft. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you," he whispers, pain written all over his face.