thirty-seven; new beginnings

A U R O R A

"You're a dangerous love, and maybe you're no good for me darling. Cause if you're gonna love me, and leave me hanging here, then I'd rather you leave, leave me lonely."

. . .

I still need to cover up the hickeys I have on my neck, and I'm grateful that I can cover the other bruises up with my clothes.

I have to meet up with Riccardo today, and I've settled on a simple sundress that covers all the important parts.

I let my hair down to cover my neck and go downstairs, greeting my parents. Dad is still a bit upset about what happened yesterday, even though I apologized multiple times.

He told me he expects me to be a bit more responsible, and I don't like him seeing this disappointed in me.

As I get into the car to drive away, I realize that my behavior doesn't suit a nineteen-year-old, and I have to be more mature.

I let out a deep sigh while driving, feeling this heavy pressure settle on my chest, that has been there for the last few days and only grows by the minute.

"Ms. Amoretto, great to see you again!" Mrs. Collins smiles as I enter the office. I send her a big smile in return.

"It's good to see you as well, Mrs. Collins," I smile as I walk past her desk and to the elevator. It feels weird being back, but it must be done.

I hope it won't be too awkward between the two of us, since I'm sure Riccardo won't talk about everything that happened.

He'll just ignore the situation like he always does.

My heart starts beating faster the higher the elevator goes up, and once arrived at the top floor, I exhale as I exit, but keep my head up nonetheless.

I send his secretary I friendly smile and ask her how she is.

"I'm good, Ms. Amoretto, how are you?"

"Just peachy!" I grin and make my way over to his office, raising my hand and knocking twice. A chill runs up my spine when I hear him telling me to come in, and I do exactly that.

I open the door and step inside his office, meeting his eyes from across the room.

"Hey," I say and send him a little, friendly smile and close the door behind me, walking inside.

"Good morning, Aurora," he says, reminding me of the past weeks where he'd say that while sinking into me.

I shake those thoughts off of me and put my bag on the chair before taking a seat on the other one.

We lock eyes for a second time and keep staring at each other. My eyes follow him as he stands up and walks around his desk, so he's standing in front of me.

"I know that a lot has happened between us," he sighs and rakes a hand through his hair, leaning against the edge of his desk.

I nod and look down at my lap, where I fiddle with my hands. "And there's a lot we need to talk about. But why don't we focus on our work for now? I have lots of cases that I need to go through," he suggests.

"You're right," I say once I lay eyes on all the files in his office. Because there are a lot.

And I'd prefer to avoid talking about our feelings for now since I know that I'll just end up crying again.

"Okay, so you'll hate me for this, but I need you to sort all these files. That way you come across new names and know how to do it when you become a lawyer yourself. You can go through them if you want," he says and motions to the stack of files that are lined up next to each other.