fifty-six; mercy

A U R O R A

"Secrets I have held in my heart, are harder to hide than I thought, maybe I just wanna be yours, I wanna be yours, I wanna be yours."

. . .

The snow is falling hard the next day. A lot of workers didn't even show up since they live too far away and it's too dangerous on the road.

Though people like me, who don't live that far away, managed to come. Though I wish I didn't and just stayed home today.

Because when I entered my office, I saw a note lying on my desk.

We have a meeting in Manhattan at two, be ready.

Riccardo.

This means that I have to accompany him, and I'm not looking forward to that. But I managed to distract myself with work for the entire morning.

Anna pops her head in right after lunch. James and I went out again to have some lunch since she was missing from her desk.

Figured she was with Riccardo again. And I hate that a huge part of me was wishing Alex joined them as well.

"Hey," I smile and watch her get into my office. "Hi," she smiles and closes the door.

"I have so much gossip," she gushes. I raise a brow. "Really? Do tell," I grin and lean my chin on my hand, watching her take a seat.

"Okay, so I was having lunch with Riccardo," she begins.

I nod, urging her to continue. "And he was flirting with me! I caught his eyes roaming over my body and it was so fucking hot," she whispers, her eyes wide and filled with shock.

My throat closes up and it's hard for me to swallow. He flirted with her and checked her out?

"Wait what?" I whisper.

She nods frantically. "Yeah, he said that I look pretty today," she sighs, a happy glint taking over her eyes.

It feels like a knife is stabbed into my chest.

And I hate it.

I hate it that it still gets to me.

But I can't get myself to dislike Anna. She did nothing wrong, and she's taking her shot without knowing what happened between us.

If she's happy and can get Riccardo for herself, I'm happy for her. If he's making her happy or vice versa, to the point where she can get him to act unprofessional and flirt with her, I guess that's a good sign.

I just wasn't the one. Not qualified enough.

"I missed you, Aurora."

And yet I feel this urge to cry, but I won't. I won't do it. For what? Because of some unresolved issues and feelings?

Fuck that.

"I mean, he was pretty intense yesterday as well. We were all alone in his office the entire time, and it felt like his attention was just focused on me, you know?"

My head snaps up, but I don't say anything.

All alone in his office?

Riccardo told me that Alex joined them. Was he lying? Was he trying to get a good fuck with me as well?

What a disgusting son of a–

"Hello? Are you in there?" Anna chuckles, snapping me out of my thoughts. I blink a few times with my eyes.