forty-three; lost

A U R O R A

"I know you hear me when I cry, I try to hold it in at night. When you're sleeping next to me, but it's your arms that I need this time."

. . .

Jack told me to meet him on the other side of town, which I'm not that familiar with.

I park my car along the street and get out, locking it behind me before making my way to the sidewalk, walking towards the address Jack gave me.

I can't believe that I'm going to his house. That's something new.

We usually meet up somewhere in town and get something to eat. The sun is starting to set and the street is rather empty.

Chills run up my spine as a cold breeze brushes past me. My feet hit the ground, echoing through the street and amplifying the fact that I'm here alone.

Or so I thought.

"Please, stop it!" I hear a woman cry out. My head snaps to the right, to an alley where I see two shadows.

A woman is pressed up against a wall, while a man is fondling her. I hear the murmur of his deep voice, but I can't quite distinguish what he's saying.

My hands start shaking beside me, and all sorts of things are coursing through my mind. I think of a few things I can do, but they all flash by so quickly.

"Hey!" I shout, furrowing my eyebrows and taking a step into the alley. At least it makes the man stop with his actions.

I take my phone, sending Jack a message of where I am, and dialing 911 right after, holding my phone ready in case I need to call.

"Let go of her!" I state, squaring my shoulders and inhaling deeply. It's taking a lot in me to not turn around and run away, but this woman is in need, and we need to help each other out.

I hate it when people turn the other way when they see a conflict.

The man's head turns to look at me, sending a shiver down my spine. Fear takes over me, but I manage to stand my ground.

"What the fuck did you just say?" he spits out and slams the woman against the brick wall, before letting go of her and stalking towards me.

My blood runs cold and instinctively, I take a step backward. I feel like needles are being stabbed in every part of my body as my fear paralyzes me.

My eyes move to the woman, who is struggling to get up but manages. Our eyes meet. "Run!" I yell at her, and she does exactly that.

Pain explodes in my cheek as the man backhands me, and my body flies against the wall. The impact was harder than I thought, and my cheek is starting to throb at the pain.

I groan at the pain as it spreads up to the side of my head, taking over the entire length of my head. The smack with the wall didn't help either, and I can feel some bruises already starting to form.

I manage to stand up, and see the man walking towards me again.

I dodge another swing of his fist and slip underneath his arm, running towards the end of the alley.

My heart is racing and starts beating even faster when I hear the footsteps of the man follow me. I reach the end of the little street and turn my head to the right, seeing Jack running over in my direction.

"Are you okay?" he asks as he's approached me. I look behind me and see the man headed in our direction.

Without saying anything, I take Jack's hand and start running in the direction he came from. "Take me to your place, please," I beg. He nods and tugs me along as we both seem to run for our lives.