one; introduction

A U R O R A

"Last night, boy I met you. Yeah when I was sleeping, you're such a dream to me."

. . .

As a little child, I used to envy my mother's beauty. I wanted to be just like her. All the boys in school used to tell me how they thought my mother was a princess. I'd get mad and tell them I was the princess, and she was the queen.

I always got jealous whenever she and my father used to kiss, because I was a daddy's girl and he was handsome too, so I wanted to marry him.

You could call it the Electra complex, but less... intense.

But, of course, as I grew older it went away and I started to see my own beauty. I started to realize what I could achieve with it.

Being the daughter of two beautiful people has its perks.

People easily granted me more things if I fluttered my eyelashes or smiled. I had more friends in school and people found it easier to talk to me, because of my appearance.

Of course, I knew that being beautiful isn't just enough. I've had men tell me how I'd only look good in the kitchen, and that I shouldn't waste my time working.

Their words had the opposite effect on me. In fact, that encouraged me to work harder and made me realize that being beautiful isn't everything in life.

If I want to do something with my life, I needed to study hard as well. And that I did.

There is only one thing I strive in live; perfection.

And now, looking back at my exams, I see everything but perfection.

"You knew what you signed up for when you decided to study law," my dad says, sitting beside me.

My mom is sitting on my other side, looking at the screen as well. "But you studied so hard for this," she points out. "I know! That's what I don't understand," I sigh.

"Cut yourself some slack, dolcezza, this is a really hard subject. It's okay to make mistakes," dad says, trying to reason with me.

"Dad, have you seen the results? They aren't exactly good."

"We'll find a solution for this. Maybe it's your study method for this," mom says. For the next couple of minutes, they try to soothe me. 

"Don't worry sis, you'll get through this," Elena, my younger sister, says as she walks into the kitchen. I send her a little smile and thank her, still not satisfied.

I'm used to my grades being perfect, so seeing these results are in the least surprising. Still processing what just happened, I tell them it's fine and go upstairs to my room.

I'll have to redo my exams in August, and I'm already freaking out.

If I didn't succeed now, I definitely won't succeed in August. I'll have to change my study method.

My phone pings, signaling I have a message. I take the device and check it, seeing that Chad has sent me a message, asking if we could hang out tonight. I let out a sigh and fall on top of my queen-sized bed, tossing my phone aside.

I'm not in the mood of talking to him. In fact, I'm not in the mood to do anything right now. The only reason Chad wants to hang out is because he wants sex. And I usually do too, but right now I don't want to.

He's the only guy I've had sex with thus far, and it's pretty good. I have nothing to compare it to, anyway.

The house is unusually quiet, that being because Nicholas is out with friends. He'd normally cheer me up, but unlike me, all his grades are good.