sixty-two; old flame

A U R O R A

"Met you once under a Pisces moon, I kept my distance 'cause I know that you don't like when I'm with nobody else. I couldn't help it, I put you through hell."

. . .

Riccardo and I step into the elevator, and he places his hand on my waist, pulling me closer to him.

I let the warmth of his hand seep through my clothes and lean against him, exhaling and trying to calm my nerves.

"There's going to be food, right?" I murmur. He chuckles. "Just some appetizers, maybe even cake," he answers and leans in to whisper in my ear, "I promise to take you out for a burger when we decide to leave."

Satisfied with that answer, I give him a little nod and greet the people who get on the elevator with us.

There are some of his workers, who greet him and then me. They don't seem to recognize me, nor do their gazes linger. They just start chatting with each other and making small talk with Riccardo.

When the elevator arrives on the floor beneath the one I work on, we step out and I see that the floor is already pretty busy.

And decorated beautifully. The theme is black marble and glass. There are tall tables scattered around the room and people waiters around with trays.

I let my eyes scan the people and recognize some who work here as well. I walk further into the room with Riccardo, feeling at ease with his arm around me.

Alex spots me from across the room and sends me a smile, before excusing himself and heading over towards us.

"Don't you two look stunning," he smiles when he sees us. "Why thank you, you look good yourself," I grin and lift my glass, as to say 'cheers'. He lifts his and we clink together, taking a sip.

My eyes catch James' as well, and with a grin, he joins our little group. "You look beautiful," he compliments me.

"Thank you so much," I smile and the nerves die down. I don't know why I was so nervous about this.

I also love the fact that they don't question that we came together. I don't see a question in their eyes or anything else that may show they have some mixed feelings about this.

A lot of people stop by to congratulate Riccardo, shaking his head and laughing with him.

"This is Aurora Amoretto, a bright young girl that managed to impress a lot of minds around here," he introduces me.

I shake other people's hands and smile at them. "Nice to meet you," I smile.

"Likewise. You're still in college? You seem pretty young to be working here already," one of the men Riccardo introduced me to, asks.

I nod. "Yeah, I'm still in college. But I got offered to work here for a little bit, do a few jobs here and there. Administration, really. And I love it," I reply.

And then I see a beautiful woman heading for us, with a man by her side. She has dark hair and her skin is tan. Her green eyes go over Riccardo and me, and she sends us a friendly smile.

"Riccardo! It's been quite a while since I've seen you," she smiles. "Camilla, always a pleasure to see you," Riccardo replies, seeming happy to see her.

Her eyes move towards me. "And what is such a beautiful woman doing with you?" she asks him and sends me a friendly smile, extending her hand for me to shake.

"You look like you have taste, honey. What are you doing here with him?"

"That's exactly why I'm here," I laugh and instantly like her. She introduces her husband to us, who's equally as beautiful and charming as her.