𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞

♔

France was beautiful. We used Floo powder to get there, it seemed like the safest way at the time and we both didn't know how to Apparate to that far of a distance. 

The French countryside was exquisite. Fleur introduced us to everyone: Her sister Gabrielle, her mother Apolline, and her father Jacques. I introduced everyone to Draco, and they were just as happy to greet him.

"Hello, it's a pleasure to meet you all," I said, being as cordial as I possibly could. I wanted them to like me, and so far it was working. 

"You look so much like my Genevieve," Apolline smiled broadly, looking at us with scrunched up eyes and joy on her face. She was a Veela through and through, you could tell by her glistening silver-blonde hair. 

This meant Fleur and Gabrielle were like me, half-Veela. 

"Thank you for having us in your home," Draco said from behind me, and the family, my family, smiled. 

"We know the risks," Fleur said, brushing off our regret to have burdened them, and that reassured me. "Still, this was a big ask. Thank you for being so kind," I said, and they nodded. 

"Anything for family," Apolline said.

Fleur and Gabrielle showed Draco and me to the room we would be staying in, and I was surprised to see that we would be sharing one. They were... very accomodating here in France. 

"You are our cousin?" Gabrielle suddenly piped up. It was the first time I had heard her speak, and the French lilt in her voice was something I found adorable. 

"Yes, your mom is my aunt and my mom is yours," I answered with a smile. 

"Where is your mom? Why couldn't she come?" Gabrielle asked, and Fleur shushed her. "Gabrielle Delacour!" She scolded, but I brushed it off. 

"Don't worry, please. She didn't know. My mother isn't around anymore, she passed away when I was young," I said, and Gabrielle clasped her mouth shut with her hands. 

"Non! I am so sorry, pardonne moi," She apologized, but it was really nothing. I had spent years hung up on a family that I didn't even know, hoping for answers about what had happened to us, but when I got them, nothing seemed like it mattered anymore. 

"It's really alright, don't worry," I said, and Gabrielle sighed out of relief of not offending or upsetting me. 

We all walked further into the room, putting our trunks down and looking around the generous space.

"We'll leave you to it, but if you need anything don't hesitate to ask," Fleur reiterated, and I smiled at her, confirming I would do so. 

I already felt close enough to her for conversation and questions, she felt like a cousin I had known for years, it was fantastic. 

Fleur and Gabrielle left the room to go to their own rooms or wherever they were going, and I turned to face Draco. 

"It's refreshing to finally feel safe somewhere, isn't it?" I asked, and he nodded, pulling me close to him and engulfing me in a hug. 

"It is. I hate to be too optimistic, but I think we'll be good here. I think we're actually safe," He said, and I smiled into his chest, breathing steadily as his arms wrapped around me and kept me securely there. 

"Remember when we were back at school and all we had to worry about were our O.W.L.S.?" I joked, and he chuckled lightly. "Yeah, that stupid test. Thank Merlin I never went through with that," He said, and I scoffed.

"That wasn't the most important thing on our radar at the time," I said, and he nodded, agreeing. 

"I got lucky with you. You're so unique, so amazing, how did I get so damn lucky?" Draco asked absentmindedly, looking down at me from his six-foot height. I was shorter than him, that was no question. I was five feet and five inches, looking up at Draco like he was a giant. 

"You didn't get lucky, we did. We found each other, I think," I said, and he nodded, agreeing with me. "Funny how fate works, isn't it?" He asked rhetorically, and I nodded. 

"Hilarious," I answered.

The room was extravagant, the Delacour's were extremely well off. I looked around, seeing nothing but luxury for as far as the eye could see. It was a beautifully ornate room. 

The Delacour Chateau was protected with magic so that Muggles and wizards alike could not find them unless they wanted to be found. 

It was the perfect cover for me and Draco, they would be well-protected until they felt like they no longer needed to be. The problem was figuring out when that would be. 

We knew there was a war coming, you couldn't deny that kind of danger. You couldn't be ignorant of it. 

There would be a war to fight, and now was the time when sides were being formed. Voldemorts side, the Death Eaters, were the evil ones. The bad guys. The ones we were against. 

The only problem was that my dad and Draco's family was on that side. 

Blood was thicker than water, but to what extent? I had family here, the Delacour's, but at the same time, my father was a leech that would keep on coming back. He was a disease. 

"At least we know their strategy. I've been to a few Death Eater meetings and so have you. We can figure out their plan of action," Draco said, and I bit my nail out of nervous habit. 

"What if they change it? Surely they would know we no longer will be fighting for them. What if they don't trust us to keep that information? They'll think of something else," I said, and he shrugged. 

"Maybe they will, maybe they won't. We don't know. We'll have to just play everything by ear," Draco said, and I nodded. 

"I guess," I answered, growing more and more nervous for the upcoming battle that would surely happen any day now. 

It was truly now just a matter of time. 

let the games begin...