𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

♔

After everyone was finished eating, we sat at the table just talking for a bit. 

I made up my mind to ask what I had been meaning to ask since the beginning of the meal. I waited until the table was quiet again. "Where's my dad?" I asked boldly. 

I didn't mean for the question to come out so dramatically, but I had no control over it now. 

Mr. Zabini and I locked eyes, and I knew I wouldn't like the answer. 

"Your father... how do I put this? We have not seen or heard from your father in months. He's gone, nobody had heard a thing directly from him, but there are rumors," He said. 

"Rumors?" I asked, and Mr. Zabini nodded. 

"Yes. There are rumors your father went directly to the Dark Lord. Some say they are in cohorts as we speak," He confirmed. 

"I don't understand, he's with the Dark Lord himself? He's alive? Why wouldn't he reach out to me, I'm his daughter!" I tried wrapping my head around this information, but simply could not. 

I would have to write to Draco about this later, I was so confused. 

"I don't know for sure, nobody does. All we know is that your father is alive, there were reports of him in London a week ago-"

"In London?" I asked, mouth gaping, and Mr. Zabini sighed. "I understand this must be very difficult for you, but we're here to help you. The Dark Lord will not get his hands on you anytime soon," He said. 

"Why would my father go directly to the man who he has hidden me from almost my entire life?" I asked, still very lost, but I could tell nobody had the answers to my now rhetorical questions. 

"May I be excused?" I asked meekly soon after everyone had gone quiet. Mrs. Zabini nodded, "Of course, dear." 

I stood from the large table, guiding myself back to my room and shutting the door behind me. I felt a shiver run down my spine as I reflected on everything. My father was suspected to be working directly with Lord Voldemort, the man who- if he found out what I was- would kill me in an instant. 

I sat at the desk against the large window in the room and pulled out parchment and a quill. I began to write whatever came to mind first. 

Dear Draco,

It's only the first day of summer break, and already things have become more complicated. I didn't even know that was possible. I miss having you constantly around to talk to- it would make all this so much easier. No more midnight meet-ups until next year, I guess. I don't know how much of what I know is safe to send with my owl, so I'll keep this a little mysterious. We'll see each other at some point this summer, I hope, so not all hope is lost. 

From, 

Maggie

When my letter was done, I folded it up and sealed it, giving it directly to my owl. "Take this to Malfoy manor," I said, and the owl understood. I opened my window and watched the bird fly away swiftly into the night. 

I hoped Draco would receive the letter. 

I finished unpacking and organizing, putting away my belongings and clothing for a little while until I heard a knock at my door. I walked to it, opening it to reveal Blaise standing in the threshold with a sympathetic look on his face. 

"I- How are you?" He asked me hesitantly. 

"I'm fine, Blaise, really," I insisted. I hated when Blaise worried about me, it made me feel bad for him. He shouldn't have to stress himself out over what I do or what happens to me, I felt like a burden. 

"You're tough, you really are. You're so strong, there's so much I don't understand about you and that one thing. Your strength. It impresses me more and more every day," He said, and I smiled genuinely and warmly. 

"You're the best friend I could ever ask for, you know that? I didn't have a best friend in America, people didn't really like me," I said, and he smiled too. He pulled me into a hug and we stayed like that for a little while. 

"You're special to me, Blaise," I said mid-hug, a small tear slipping down my face. 

He noticed it, reacting immediately and wiping it away. "Are you okay? What's wrong?" 

"I'm scared. What's going to happen to me? What's going to happen to you? To Draco?" I wondered aloud. 

"Nothing-" 

"You can't say that truthfully. Your family is hiding me, concealing me, from the Dark Lord, and Draco knows who I am. I should've just kept this away- I should have kept it from him, it would keep him safer than this," I said, and Blaise's eyes widened. 

"I- I'm sorry, I should have never told him without your permission, it just- I know you two- I thought-" Blaise rambled nervously, and I shook my head to calm him. 

"It's okay. I'm just nervous. I don't know what Voldemort is capable of, I really don't. He hates anyone who isn't a pureblood, and he'll hate me even more because I've already hidden this from everyone for so long-" I went on and on, but Blaise held me in another comforting hug. 

"This summer we're going to do everything we can to keep you safe, alright?" 

"How- Your family... they're followers too, aren't they?" I asked, not sure what reason they had for keeping me safe. "We've known your dad for a long time, our families are close no matter what. Zabini's are loyal," He said. 

I sighed as I listened to his words. They were certainly very reassuring, but I- once again- did not want to be a liability. 

"I want you to promise me that if shit gets bad your family doesn't cover for me when they don't need to. I want you guys to protect yourselves first, okay?" I asked, and Blaise stared at me for a second, hesitating. 

I touched his shoulder, looking into his eyes, "Promise me? Please," I reiterated. 

He sighed deeply, sadness in his eyes, but eventually nodded. I was relieved, this was something that could now be off my conscience even a little bit. 

"Thank you," I said, and he smiled. "Goodnight, Mags," He said before leaving my room, allowing me to get ready for bed. 

Now, I would wait for Draco's letter. I wondered to myself if he was doing okay. 

so here we go... things are getting a lil complicated. also... fuck fabian warrington. what a dickhead. pussy ass bitch. but i digress.