𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

♔

Malfoy Manor was cold. That was the most striking thing about it when Draco and I arrived. It was frigid and lonely inside. It was not a home. 

"We have to be quick. Take only the necessities," I said, and Draco nodded. We had gone up to our dorm before and taken our things, but only a few, so we came back to Malfoy Manor for bags and ways to easily transport everything. 

Our next stop was Draco's call, Gringotts. I knew he was going to take money from his parent vault, but I wanted to remind him that we had the ability to take money from my dad as well. 

When we got to his room, I looked around. I never noticed how dark it was. I never fully recognized how much like him the room was. It simple, but elegant, and classically understated. 

But it made sense that this is how he grew up. 

I never realized how closed off Draco was until he was open and free with me. I never recognized how light we were together until we have overcome the darkness. 

"Are- are you okay?" He asked me as I stood still, examining the room. 

I turned and nodded, reassuring him that it was just thinking. I was just caught up in my own thoughts. I tried to think about something else, about more important matters. 

I tried to think of somewhere we could go, somewhere we could escape to that nobody would be able to find us, but there was nowhere I could think of immediately. 

"Let's pack what we need, run our errands, then we can stay... we could probably stay above the Leaky Cauldron for a week or so. That way, we can sort everything out. How does that sound?" He asked, and I nodded again. 

"That sounds perfect," I said. I began to space out again, staring off into the room again. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked me, and I sighed. "You didn't hear what he said to me, Dumbledore. He said... my dad was disowned. From the Potter family. He's Harry's dad's brother. I'm Harry's cousin, I guess," I said. 

I had a hard time believing it myself. It didn't feel true, my whole life felt like a book someone started to write, but upon realizing they had made a mistake a few chapters back, rewrote important plot details. 

"Are you serious?" He asked, clearly as shocked as I was. "I wish I wasn't," I admitted. "I knew there was something he had to tell me about my dad, but I never... I never thought it was something like this," I said.

"That's insane. I don't even know what that would mean for you," He said. 

"I hope it means nothing. I want to sweep this under the rug until I'm ready to tell anyone else, okay? Especially Harry. I want to wait a little bit," I said, and he nodded.

He didn't say anything else until he pulled me into a tight hug and held me for a while. He brought his hand up to the back of my head and comfortingly stroked my hair, calming me down a bit. 

"I burned his face. You saw. I'm a... I'm a fucking freak," I said, and Draco let go of me, looking into my eyes. "No, you're not," He said sternly. 

"But I-" 

"You defended yourself. He got exactly what he deserved," He said, reassuring me that I was not a terrible person. "I know. I think I know somewhere we can go," I said suddenly.

"Where?" 

"France," I answered. 

Draco laughed. He didn't think I was serious, and I would think I was serious if I were him either. "W-What? France? Maggie, be serious," He said through chuckles.

"No, I am being serious. I have family there," I said, and he cocked his head. "My mom's sister, my aunt, we can write them and see if they would be willing to have us," I suggested, and Draco nodded slowly, taking all the information in. 

"That's not a horrible idea, actually," Draco said, and I forced a smile. "Thanks," I chuckled, and he smiled back. "I didn't mean it like that, I just think it's risky. It's risky but doable," He said.

"It would have to be soon," I said, and he nodded. "Good thing we're packing, then," He said. 

I walked over to him and stood right in front of his height. He towered over me, and I looked up to meet his eyes. I had so much to be thankful for in him. I looked up at his features and saw how tense they looked. 

I couldn't remember a time when he was relaxed recently. He was still a teenager, just like me, and he deserved to have a normal life. We deserved to have a normal life. 

"I love you," I said, and instead of a smile or kiss, he just stared back at me. His eyes put me into a trance, just like they always did. "I love you. I never want to lose you," He said seriously. 

"I know," I said, and he pulled me flush against him, his arms around my waist as he hoisted me up and held me in his arms. As he held me up, I slung my arms tightly around his neck, burying my face into the crook of it and breathing steadily. 

"You are the most unique person I've ever met, Maggie Warrington," He said, and I smiled although he could not see it. "It's Maggie Potter, now, I suppose," I mumbled, and he sighed. "Nothing's ever easy for us, is it?" He asked rhetorically, and I shook my head as he put me to my feet once again. 

"No, never," I said. 

"You should write to Blaise, he's probably worried sick," He said, and my eyes flew wide open. "Blaise! Oh my god, I feel horrible!" I exclaimed, rushing over to Draco's desk to write my best friend immediately. 

I would write his letter, then I would write to Fleur. 

Then, we'd set off. 

To France. 

merry christmas from the u.s. everyone! i love each and every one of you, and apologize for this chapter taking a while. hope you like!

𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐬, 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 • (𝐝.𝐦.)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara