𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

♔

As I read on the couch that night in the common room, there was nobody there again. Draco hadn't produced himself, and I was left alone in peace. 

I read on, knowing what was going to happen, but loving it regardless. 

The fire roared on, warming me and making me never want to leave the couch, but I was hungry. Starving, actually. I hadn't eaten that day at all, I forgot to during dinner, and now it had hit me. 

With my wand in the waistband of my sweatpants, I snuck through the painting and to the kitchens as quietly as possible. 

When I got there, I was greeted by the unexpected acquaintance of Fred and George Weasley. 

"Holy Hell, Maggie! We thought you were a professor. Nearly scared the shit out of poor George, here," Fred joked, and I smiled. 

"Nope, just me. I'm hungry, got anything good?" I asked, and they nodded. 

"We raided the pantries for stuff and there were loads of pumpkin pasties, want a few?" George asked, and I nodded. 

Not the most balanced meal ever, but hey, beggars couldn't be choosers. 

They put some on a plate for me and I smiled, thanking them, and I got to eating. 

"Are there any apples here? I'm craving one," I asked. I had been eating a single apple every day at the feast. Reds were my favorite, and there was always an abundance at the tables during mealtimes. 

"I heard about what Montague said to you today, he's a right dickhead," Fred said, and I nodded. 

"It only makes me want to put this plan into action sooner, but we have to be patient. First of all, I think we make one slight change to the plan, alright?" 

"What's the change?" 

"Maybe we hex him- just a little- while he's playing quidditch. Maybe make him lose control of the broom for a little while, or some spell to make him piss himself. That'd be the best," I said, taking another huge bite of pumpkin pasty. 

"That can be arranged," George nodded with a chuckle. 

"Great, I was thinking we could cook something up tomorrow afternoon-" 

"Actually, we're busy tomorrow, is there any way we could do it next week?" 

"Next week? Oh, okay," I said, not wanting to be invasive, but they were always busy. 

They had things to do of course, but at the same time every day, they disappeared along with the rest of the Gryffindors. 

"We're really sorry, I wish we could tell you what was going on," George said, and Fred swatted his arm.

I suspected something was up before, but that really sealed the deal. 

"Guys, you can tell me. I thought we were friends," I offered sadly. I didn't mean to be this much of a crybaby about it, but I was genuinely hurt by their not telling me. I'm all about respecting people's privacy, but this seemed like they just couldn't tell me. It felt a little personal.