𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲

♔

"What was that?" I asked, crossing my arms, but not being able to make an upset face. I didn't know if I was upset, really, but I knew I was confused. 

"Nothing... what are you doing awake?" 

"I could ask you the same thing? No less, what are you doing talking to Snape? What are you plotting, Draco?" I asked, and he hesitated. 

He looked as if he was really thinking hard about what to say, and that alone was a red flag. "What aren't you telling me?" I asked in a softer tone. 

"How much did you hear?" He asked, and I sighed. So much for trust. "Should it really matter? I don't want you to feel like I'm interrogating you, but-" 

"Then don't! Don't interrogate me," He said, turning a bit gruff. "Are you kidding?" I snapped, and he rolled his eyes. "You're nagging me like I don't have an insane amount of work to do before-" 

"Before what? Why can't we just tell each other everything, Draco, it would make everything so much easier! We're in the same boat here!" 

"BUT WE'RE NOT!" He yelled. 

I sucked in a breath at his words. I looked down at my feet before looking back up to him. "Why are you killing Dumbledore?" I asked, promising myself that if he wasn't going to give me any answers after this, I wouldn't waste my time any further. 

"Voldemort wants him dead," He said. No further explanation. That was all he said. 

"That's all? I'm supposed to believe that's it? He just... wants him dead for no reason?" I asked rhetorically, shaking my head in disbelief of what I was hearing. 

"Maggie, enough," He said. 

"No, you said he wants him dead before something. Before what?" I asked, but he shook his head. "Nothing," He said. 

That was it. 

"I can't believe you. I thought we were done with secrets. I thought we were done with the lies, but here we are. Right back to square one. I really... I really thought you changed, Draco. I thought you were on my side, but here you are plotting with Snape to kill Dumbledore for some reason I can't even begin to fathom. I was helping you with the fucking cabinet, I was assigned this task with you, but you don't even let me help anymore! I could help you!" 

"I don't want you to help! Don't you get it? I don't want your fucking help because if anything happens to you, I won't be able to forgive myself!"

I fumed at his words, my hair turning silver before both of our eyes. His eyes widened, but I paid no attention to it. "SOMETHING ALREADY HAS HAPPENED TO ME!" I shouted, pulling my sleeve up and motioning to the Dark Mark on my arm. 

He ran his fingers through his hair and pulled me into a closet near where we were standing and shut the door behind us. "Muffliato," He said, and soon, we were in a space where I could be as loud as I wanted. 

"I know something happened to you, damn it, don't you think I know?!" He shouted. Everything we said was now coming out as yelling. "Stop treating me like I'm something you need to fucking protect! I can handle myself, and I have the same exact fucking job you have, why can't you get that through your thick skull?!" 

My hair was still white, and my hands were heating up, but I didn't notice. I was too wrapped up in what I was fighting with Draco about. "So now it's my fault that I want to keep you safe? Now I can't protect someone I love? What the fuck?!" He shouted, and I laughed humorlessly. 

"Are you fucking dense? That's not what I mean and you know it!" 

"Then what do you mean?!" He shouted, and I had to keep myself from blowing up. I took a deep breath, I counted to ten, I did anything in my power to keep myself calm as his ignorant comments spewed from his mouth. 

"If you're not going to tell me anything I have a right to know about, I won't sit here and try to reason with you. Clearly, your stubbornness has gotten the best of you," I said. 

I turned around and walked out of the room, but it seemed like he wasn't finished. "Maggie... Maggie!" He hissed, trying to get me to turn around. I bit my tongue, turning to meet his eyes one more time. 

"What?!" 

"I- I just..." He started but trailed off. 

I sighed. If he wanted to tell me whatever he was keeping from me, he would've. "Maybe Snape was right," I said, and he looked up at me in a confused manner. 

"Right about what?" He asked, and I took a deep, shuddering breath as I tried to get this out without breaking down. "You need to focus on this. I'm a distraction, and you need to work on the task," I said. 

"What are you saying?" He asked, gaping at me. 

"I think you know exactly what I'm saying, Malfoy," I said, and I watched as his eyes flashed with pain at the name I decided to call him. 

It hurt me to look at him, so I turned my head away and bit back tears. "So that's it? You're breaking up with me?" He asked, and I sniffed away the sadness that was threatening to spill out of me. 

"I just want you to be able to get this done without worrying about me all the time. I want you to do this because it will protect you, not me. You won't even tell me the shit you're doing even though we're supposed to be doing it together," I said. 

"But breaking up with me is how we resolve that? That makes no fucking sense!" He snapped. 

"Fine... fine, so we won't break up. I-"

"Why did you come looking for me?" He asked, cutting me off, and I stared at him. "I didn't know where you were and I had something to tell you," I said. 

"What is it?" He asked. 

"It's about Slughorn's Christmas party tomorrow night," I said, and he groaned. "I've told you, I'm sorry I can't be your date tomorrow, but-" 

"I found a date," I said awkwardly. 

He said nothing, which was expected. I wanted to tell him under different circumstances, but clearly, that wasn't going to work out. "Who?" He asked, his eyes narrowing at me. 

"Before I tell you, you have to promise not to get mad. I didn't want this, but Slughorn set it up, and the only way I could go was with a date, but-" 

"Tell me who," He said, his voice dangerously low. 

I sucked in an anxiety-riddled breath and looked away from him. "Montague," I said quietly. It was embarrassing to admit out loud. 

The silence between us was deafening. 

"It's all making sense now," He said, and I furrowed my brow. "You're breaking up with me because of him, aren't you?" 

"What?! That's ridiculous!" I shot back, but he wasn't buying it. "Here you are acting all high and mighty, feeding me all this bullshit that we need to break up for my wellbeing or the task, but really you just want to go fuck Montague without a guilty conscience! Well, consider this your free pass, Maggie, because we're fucking over," He spat. 

He walked away from me now, and I was left in the empty hallway with my own thoughts, wondering what had just happened. 

hey y'all....... don't hate me i have a plan.