𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨

♔

 Honeydukes didn't even cheer me up. Nothing was making me happy. I wanted to get my mind off of everything, but I was so distracted. 

I drudged through the bleak town with Blaise and Daphne as happy as ever to be together. I didn't want to be bitter, so I made up an excuse to go find some hot chocolate while they walked along together, and they bought it. 

I walked away from them, noticing an empty bench outside of Zonko's and walking over to it. I sat down and pulled out Pride and Prejudice to read for the thousandth time, but when I opened it, something fell out. 

A small piece of paper that I recognized immediately fell at my feet, and I picked it up quickly. 

You were on Chapter 21. 

- D.M. 

I crumpled it up and tossed it in the garbage, my eyes welling up slightly, and I stood up from the bench, wanting to leave now more than ever. I found Daphne, Blaise was nowhere to be found, probably in a store somewhere, and I told her I felt sick and was going back to the castle. 

I wanted to get ready for Slughorn's party, it was already beginning to get dark. I walked to the Slytherin common room, going up to Draco's dorm where he was luckily away from. 

I retrieved my dress from the wardrobe, a beautiful mid-calf length cream dress with glitter and ornate designs up the front and a tulle bottom half. 

I put it on, dressing my face with makeup and putting my hair up. I waited until fifteen minutes before the party to go down to the common room to look for Montague, only to find him sitting on the couch waiting for me. 

"Oh, sorry, am I late?" I asked, looking at the clock on the wall out of paranoia. 

"No, I got here early," He answered, standing up and walking over to me. He was wearing a nice, clean suit that made him look nice, and I sighed with the relief of not being tardy. 

"You look really pretty, Maggie," He said, addressing me directly, and I smiled softly. "Thank you," I said genuinely. 

He said nothing for a minute but scratched the back of his head nervously. "Listen, I want to say something before we leave. I am so sorry for the way I treated you last year. I was such a dick, but I'd like to think I've matured, and if you'll accept my apology, I hope we can be friends? It's understandable if you don't want to, and I-" 

"I accept your apology, Graham," I said, smiling more now. I had a hunch he would be different now, but this sealed the deal for me. 

His face broke out into a smile too and I held out my arm for him to link his with. "Time to go," I said, and he linked our arms. We then headed off to Slughorn's party, arm in arm, as friends. 

When we arrived, the party was beginning to pick up and become more lively. As soon as we walked in, Slughorn noticed immediately. 

"There they are!" He exclaimed, walking up to the both of us enthusiastically, and I managed a fake smile. "You took look dashing, if I do say so myself," He hummed. 

"Thank you, professor," Graham and I obliged, but both of us fidgeted rather awkwardly. It was odd seeing your teacher after school hours were over and, no less, in a social setting. 

"Well, have fun!" He said, going over to other students and speaking to them, and I sighed with relief. "This is... fun," Graham said unconvincingly, and I chuckled. "Oh, yeah, for sure," I answered sarcastically. 

I scanned the room for any familiar faces, eventually finding Harry, Hermione, and Ginny scattered about. 

Hermione was hidden behind a long curtain in the corner of the room, and I furrowed my brow as it looked like she was hiding from someone. 

"I'll be right back," I said to Graham, and he nodded. I wandered over to where she was hiding, trying not to make it obvious where she was. I ducked under the curtain as well and found her with a twisted up expression on her face. 

"Maggie! Oh, it's good to see you," She exclaimed, and I smiled, although not sure what she was actually doing back here. "What's wrong?" I asked, hugging her back as she practically launched herself at me. 

Before she could answer, though, Harry came under the curtain as well, joining us in this cramped area. 

"What are you doing in here?" He asked, confusion evident about him. "I'd like to know the same thing," I said, all eyes now on Hermione. 

"I'm hiding from my date," She said, and I stifled a laugh. 

"My date's not the best either, but we got over it. Who's your mystery menace?" I asked, looking around the room for anyone seemingly on the lookout for Hermione. 

"Cormac McLaggen," Hermione answered, her voice dripping with disdain. 

"Ooh, how'd you get saddled with that douchebag?" I asked. 

"Well, I was going to ask Ron, but it seemed as though he and Lavender have been keeping each other quite busy recently. I wouldn't want to pull them apart," She said bitterly. Now it was making sense. 

Eventually, Cormac made his way over and Hermione snuck away again, leaving Harry, Cormac, and I in the space behind the curtain. 

"I'm... gonna go find Graham," I said awkwardly. "You're... uh... you're leaving me here with him?" Harry hissed, feigning a smile, and I shrugged with sympathy etched across my features. 

I ended up patting Harry on the shoulder before leaving, then ducked quickly under the curtain again, rejoining the party. 

I got a drink from the refreshments table and sipped on it delicately, not sure what to do with myself until we all had to sit down for a meal. 

"Hey, you," I heard from behind me, recognizing the voice as Graham's, and I turned to face him. "Hey," I greeted in return. 

"This is... kind of boring, right?" He asked, and I nodded. "I'm going out of my mind. The only thing keeping me going is watching Cormac constantly come this close to finding Hermione, then seeing her escape again just in time. It's a hilarious cycle," I said, pointing to where Professor Snape was now confronting both Harry and Cormac behind the curtain. 

That is... until Cormac decided to puke all over Snape's shoes. 

My eyes widened and I buried my face in Graham's shoulder to hide my laughter. We weren't going to let him live that down either, and we knew nobody else would. 

Graham and I talked about it basically all night, joking and laughing with Harry, Hermione, and Ginny whenever they came over to us. 

Eventually, Filch burst into the room, dragging someone along with him. There was an exchange of words between Slughorn and the caretaker, but the voice that announced itself next was the one that caught my attention. 

"Okay, okay! I was gatecrashing. Happy?" Draco barked, his piercing blue eyes meeting mine directly and staying there. 

Nervously gulping, I subconsciously took a small step away from Graham. 

Just in case. 

oh... dad- i mean *draco* is finally here. what are we gonna see go down, i wonder...